• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hillstone Infants and Junior School

Hi i am new on here im writing a book on my granddads life, as he is suffering with motorneurones disease he started Hillstone primary in 1953 I was wondering if anyone has a photo of the actual school so i could put this in the book. thank you parris :)

Hi i am new on here im writing a book on my granddads life, as he is suffering with motorneurones disease he started Hillstone primary in 1953 I was wondering if anyone has a photo of the actual school so i could put this in the book. thank you parris :)
Hi, I was at Hillstone in 1953, what is your grandads name? Did he live close to the school?
If no one has a photo, I can take a present one, I don’t live too far away. But it would be after Xmas. Or you could open google maps and take a picture from that.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi, I was at Hillstone in 1953, what is your grandads name? Did he live close to the school?
If no one has a photo, I can take a present one, I don’t live too far away. But it would be after Xmas. Or you could open google maps and take a picture from that.
Cheers.
my Granddads name is John Cross also had four sisters who went to Hillstone Josie cross, Judie Cross, Janet Cross and Karen Cross and two brothers Jeremy Cross and Steven Cross they lived opposite hillstone school on freasley road. I am on the search for old school photos off shardend and birmingham areas to complete the book,

if anyone has any that would be amazing.

my Granddads name is John Cross also had four sisters who went to Hillstone Josie cross, Judie Cross, Janet Cross and Karen Cross and two brothers Jeremy Cross and Steven Cross they lived opposite hillstone school on freasley road. I am on the search for old school photos off shardend and birmingham areas to complete the book,

if anyone has any that would be amazing.
OMG yes, I know all, infact I think Judy, lives not to far from me now. I have spoken to her when I recognised her in a shop, couple of years ago. I lived just the other side of the ‘green’
In Freasley. My mom and Mrs Cross knew one another well. The children were always dressed nicely and polite.
I always knew your great nan as a lovely person. My Mom was Mrs Key, I was Janet and my brother Graham Key. I’m sure you grandad will remember her. I think your grandad and Graham are about the same age.
We were some of the very first families to move to Shard End. It was all fields, with the gravel pit at the top of the road, where the park is now.
We made trollys from old bits of wood, different size wheels, bit of rope and off we would go down the hill as fast as we could from the ‘pit’.
Well good luck and if I can find any pics I will forward onto you. The Shard End library might have some on their site.

OMG yes, I know all, infact I think Judy, lives not to far from me now. I have spoken to her when I recognised her in a shop, couple of years ago. I lived just the other side of the ‘green’
In Freasley. My mom and Mrs Cross knew one another well. The children were always dressed nicely and polite.
I always knew your great nan as a lovely person. My Mom was Mrs Key, I was Janet and my brother Graham Key. I’m sure you grandad will remember her. I think your grandad and Graham are about the same age.
We were some of the very first families to move to Shard End. It was all fields, with the gravel pit at the top of the road, where the park is now.
We made trollys from old bits of wood, different size wheels, bit of rope and off we would go down the hill as fast as we could from the ‘pit’.
Well good luck and if I can find any pics I will forward onto you. The Shard End library might have some on their site.
Sorry it was Josie who I knew better that lives quite close to me. I think Judy was older.

I was at Hillstone from 1961 to 1968, Miss Clay was headteacher, there was Mr Arkinstall, Mr Smith Mr Broughton.
Some of my classmates were Brian Amos, andy carpenter , Alan Taman, christine Baker, carol Mundy, Tina wellard, john Pratt, et al. Loved that school. Somewhere I have some pics of our football and cricket teams. Will look them up.

Hi, I have just joined this site. Fantastic photos above. I was at this school 1956 to 1963. Miss Stitt and Miss Clay were the Head Teachers. Miss Collins and Miss Yardley were 2 infant school teachers. In the juniors, I had Miss Lane, Mr Barber, Mrs Aldrick and Mr Thompson. I wonder if anyone on this site was in my class?
I attended from 1955-1962. I remember Miss Stitt and Miss (Edit ***) she slapped me across the face once for throwing snowballs one winter. I had Miss Lane, Mrs Aldrick, Mr Barber and Mr Thompson, all great teachers. Mr Arkinstall ran the football team and I can remember Malcolm King, Eric Langford in the team. In my class there was Sandra Cupples, Linda Chamberlain, Roy Fox, Jimmy Arnold, Robert Chance, Toni Parsons, Melinda Yeomans, Sandra Davey. We lived in Nearmoor Road and my older brothers and sister went to Hillstone - Tony Cole, Pat Cole, Dave and Terry (twins) Cole. It was a great school and I have many happy memories of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
hiya....lived at No5 same side as you. Henry Rogers lived in the big house opposite Heywoods ..then next to them going up were the Berties..Lennie, Pat , Carol...then the Browns, Hughes, Bristows, Johnsons, Wards, Hadleys,then last big house that side Christophers. opposite big house Branigans. coming down Potters, ours, then Taylors. Hickeys, Everetts, Heaps, Middletons, then Lowes. Your block Jarvis's, Ryans, ??? middle Taylors, Skinners.!!!! cant remember any more.
Do you remember the toffee apples the Mrs Johnson used to make.

Hi, I have just joined this site. Fantastic photos above. I was at this school 1956 to 1963. Miss Stitt and Miss Clay were the Head Teachers. Miss Collins and Miss Yardley were 2 infant school teachers. In the juniors, I had Miss Lane, Mr Barber, Mrs Aldrick and Mr Thompson. I wonder if anyone on this site was in my class?
do you remember anyone in the photo's

My first teacher at infants was Mrs Lewis lovely lady, what I liked was the 10min nap in the afternoon “put your heads on the desk and close your eyes” I didn’t need telling twice lol.
Then into Juniors and my heartthrob Miss Richardson some great times there, and sports day on the field by the side of the infant’s block, I was good at running ( guess it was all that knock and run episodes).

I attended from 1955-1962. I remember Miss Stitt and Miss (Edit ***) she slapped me across the face once for throwing snowballs one winter. I had Miss Lane, Mrs Aldrick, Mr Barber and Mr Thompson, all great teachers. Mr Arkinstall ran the football team and I can remember Malcolm King, Eric Langford in the team. In my class there was Sandra Cupples, Linda Chamberlain, Roy Fox, Jimmy Arnold, Robert Chance, Toni Parsons, Melinda Yeomans, Sandra Davey. We lived in Nearmoor Road and my older brothers and sister went to Hillstone - Tony Cole, Pat Cole, Dave and Terry (twins) Cole. It was a great school and I have many happy memories of it.
I went to the school around that time. I remember the name Mis Stitt, which I always had a snigger at. The name Linda Chamberlain also rings a bell. My best friend at the time Paul Preece lived in Nearmoor Road. Peter Ray also lived there I think. I think one of the teachers was called Miss Penny and when she got married ( which was a shame because I planned on marrying her ) we joked that she would become Mrs Tuppence. I lived in Berrowside Road. There was also Michael Milward who lived close to the school. Other names I remember are Maxine Sandbrooke, Gary Hastings, Peter Pinner, Alan Dangerfield, Andrea Guise, . My older brother David Johnston also went there and was in the cricket team. See the attached photo

Attachments

• David_Cricket.jpg
    David_Cricket.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 1
Another thing I remember was that we had two blokes turn up in my last year who might have been trainee teachers. Not sure This would have been about 1962. They must have had some link with the RAF since one day they brought in a parachute with the intention of attaching it to a post and deploying it in the wind. I also remember doing some map work with them, where we calculated our position on a map given a direction and speed of travel. I think at that time John Glenn had just gone into space, so it was all a bit exciting.
I ended up getting a job in aerospace many years later.

Back