• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hillstone Infants and Junior School

T

Thegoodolddays

I attended Hillstone school between 1973-1977.I cant remember any of the teaches names only the headmaster which was Mr Dance.
It was and i believe still is a great school and remember when Sonia Lanoman visited the school for the silver jubilee and we all recieved one of those coins that i think every man and his dog got.
If anyone else attended the school between these dates or can add more teachers names please add to this thread.

Cheers

Carl

I forgot to mention the school is located in Shard end.

I also went to Hillstone 1974 to 1978
I remember Mr Collis, Miss Smith, Mrs McGrath, Mrs Langford.

Hi Andyroo:You can look the school up on www.friendsreunited.co.uk. Put the school name in as Hillstone Primary School and you can find ex-pupils who have registered from the years that you attended also teachers names, photos, etc. It's a free site.

Hi Andy and Carl.

I was at Hillstone from 1971 up until 1977 as well and I remember Mr Dance very well. I still have a book for achievement signed by him!

Mrs McGrath was my teacher In reception I think but defiantly my teacher anyway!

I remember Mr Smith being a teacher, a nice Yorkshire bloke he was.

Mr Collis was my last teacher and I hated the sight of him!

I remember the time Sonia Lanoman visited and I think my Mom might have that coin somewhere?! We all stood by the flag pole and I think she raised the Union Jack?!

Anyway I am on Friends Reunited so look out for me and say hi!

Last edited:
I just wanted to add as well that if anyone remembers me from Hillstone, and If by some chance you are one of those that came on this site browsing, or if you know of anyone from Hillstone (Pupils and Teachers) then please get in touch via Friends Reunited prefably, or on here if not, and I will get back to you a.s.a.p. As for those that don't know me but went to Hillstone then please share your memories on here to! :)

I attended Hillstone when Miss Clay was Head and i can remember Miss Yardley and a Mrs Edwards who was a music teacher when i was in reception school.There was also one of the dinner ladies called Mrs pippin. When we had our Christmas Party we all had to take a dish and spoon with our names on.

Hi all, I'm new to this site and afraid it seems a lot older than all of you. I started Hillstone Infant when it was first built in 1952/53 The headteacher was Miss Stitt and I believe the Junior headteacher was Miss Clay. I can only remember one teacher in the juniors which was Mr Yauxhall and the only reason being that he always rapped you across the knuckles if you weren't writing his dictation fast enough. Years later I had my wedding reception in the Infant school hall, that certainly brought back memories good and bad. I can remember it being a sad time when we left the Juniors though because those day's the boys were split from the girls. The girls went to Longmeadow Girls and the boys to Alderly Boys school.

Last edited:
3 pics of Hilstone Junior pupils...Headmistress Miss Clay...Circa 1958-59
Hilstone Recorder Class.jpg

Attachments

• Hillstone Circa 58.jpg
    Hillstone Circa 58.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Hillstone Circa 1960.jpg
    Hillstone Circa 1960.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hi, I have just joined this site. Fantastic photos above. I was at this school 1956 to 1963. Miss Stitt and Miss Clay were the Head Teachers. Miss Collins and Miss Yardley were 2 infant school teachers. In the juniors, I had Miss Lane, Mr Barber, Mrs Aldrick and Mr Thompson. I wonder if anyone on this site was in my class?

Hi, I have just joined this site. Fantastic photos above. I was at this school 1956 to 1963. Miss Stitt and Miss Clay were the Head Teachers. Miss Collins and Miss Yardley were 2 infant school teachers. In the juniors, I had Miss Lane, Mr Barber, Mrs Aldrick and Mr Thompson. I wonder if anyone on this site was in my class?

Hi I was also at Hillstone Infants/Juniors I started in 1958 until I left for Longmeadow Secondry Modern School for girls, another teacher I remember in the Juniors is a Miss Meacham she was in the art dept, & helped me a great deal. Some of the pupils in my years were Norma Twigg, Norma Noakes, Beverly Jones, Stephen Hall, Steven Chatham, Andy Millward & Gary Pearson, oh & so many more to mention. The Good Old Days.....................

Last edited:
Hi im on the 1st pic bottom row 3rd from the left

I was also one of the first pupils to Hillstone School in 1953. Prior to this, we first kids in Shard End went by coach to various schools around the area. I was coached to Birches Green School, along with the others in this photo, until Hillstone was built.
The photo is the 1953 Coronation. Do you recognise yourself here? I was Janet Key and disguised as Little Red Hiding Hood. Names I remember, Diane Arbuckle, now in Oz. Marina? Alan Pickering. Edwin Moore, Clare? All the children in this picture went on to Hillstone.

Attachments

• A99F6EF4-2E3E-4F26-B904-8F8F9FC1DBF2.jpeg
    A99F6EF4-2E3E-4F26-B904-8F8F9FC1DBF2.jpeg
    451 KB · Views: 39
Hi Pam...yes i remember you and Sandra ...do you remember Linda Taylor in the middle back row middle she lived in middle block... and Leslie Heywood 3rd from the right bottom row he lived in last house bottom of the of grove your side. Me sitting next to him. Also Hillstone school pic showing Maureen Lowe. lived in house next to Heywoods.

I remember all those names. I’ll forward your reply to Sandra. I have sent her a copy of the photo. She had forgotten she played recorder!
Linda Taylor had a much older sister called Pauline didn’t she.
Rover proper brummie kid what’s your name?

hiya....lived at No5 same side as you. Henry Rogers lived in the big house opposite Heywoods ..then next to them going up were the Berties..Lennie, Pat , Carol...then the Browns, Hughes, Bristows, Johnsons, Wards, Hadleys,then last big house that side Christophers. opposite big house Branigans. coming down Potters, ours, then Taylors. Hickeys, Everetts, Heaps, Middletons, then Lowes. Your block Jarvis's, Ryans, ??? middle Taylors, Skinners.!!!! cant remember any more.

Last edited:
I thought it was you! Your mum was Edie, ran the Kay’s catalogue. Yes our block had the Richards ( elderly no children),Dixon’s, Ryans, Wedges and Jarvis family. Lynne is my oldest friend and we keep in touch. Lost touch with the Ryan’s.
I recall all the other Lillington Grove residents. They were good days and a lovely place to grow up.
I have lived in the north of England for the last 38 years.

Ahhhh Kays catalogue....just another memory...lol ...Mom passed away last sept...she was 95..and dad passed in 2015 he was 93 they moved from the grove in 1988 to Tamworth. I bump into Maureen Lowe sometimes ....she lives in Measham...she hasnt changed one bit. pass on my regards to Lynne...didnt the Thackers move into the Heywood house after they moved.

Last edited:
Your mum did well. My mum died ten years ago she was 84.
I can’t visualise Maureen but I’m remember her name. Was she an only child?
The Thacker’s arrived about a year before we left so didn’t really get to know them.

Back