• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hillclose Farm Highfield Road Hall Green

We now know it was in Highfield Road. It could be - I got the impression that it was - incorrectly named and it should be Highfield Farm.
However, the other side of the coin, of course, is Highfield Road is incorrectly named and should have been Hillfield Road.
Neither may be true of course. :laughing:

It was on Hillfield Road just down from Hillfield Hall on a part of the road that is now called Fielding Lane in Monkspath I suppose it is. I used to use Hillfield Hall when it was a great restaurant in the 70's and the Stables next door was a good pub. I'll never know why they closed the restaurant and converted it into apartments.

hillfield farm.JPG

I saw the restaurant Phil, on an on'line search, but as it said it was in Monkspath and not Hall Green, I assumed it was not the same place.

I saw the restaurant Phil, on an on'line search, but as it said it was in Monkspath and not Hall Green, I assumed it was not the same place.

The new restaurant might go by the name of Hillfield Farm Restaurant, but I'm not sure if it's anywhere near the location of the old farm building other than being in the area of where it once stood.

Hillfield restaurant is on or close to the site of Hillfield Hall - I am not sure it is the same place but is certainly not Hall Green.

There seem to have been 2 farms on Highfield Road which both seem to vanish sometime between 1920 and 1937 - one Hillclose Farm and the other Old House Farm.

Janice

If you look at the old map that I posted you will see that Hillfield Farm and Hillfield hall were two separate entities. Hillfield farm is no longer in existence as it is now covered by new housing. Hillfield Hall was indeed at one time a very good restaurant and is still standing to day but has been converted into apartment and is now part of a cul de sac called Hillfield Hall Croft.

Just to differentiate between the Hall & the Farm here is an image of the Hall itself, that looks to be in the 70's. Just off the the right of this photo were the stables which had been converted into a pub called The Stables.

Solihull Hillfield Hall .jpg

I am confused - are we saying that the old farm in #2 on Highfield Road should be Hillfield? Or should this thread be Highfield Farm??

The Hillfield farm pub is owned by Farmhouse inns. All their pub names end in farm so not necessary located on or near a farm. The Hillfield Hall restaurant ended its days as a Toby Inn carvery, there were plans for the stables to become a night club, but I dont know if they ever got planning permission.

The farm building images I originally posted in post #1 are from two different sources, all clearly naming the site as Hillfield Farm. To me this confirms the correct name as HILLfield.

I’ve altered the contrast on the image with the girl looking at the farm and it’s clearly labelled as Hillfield Farm. So it was at least at the early part of the 1900s known as Hillfield. Image attached below. Viv.

Attachments

• 0D51BD05-DF12-46B5-B2EC-B761D53E3BE1.jpeg
    0D51BD05-DF12-46B5-B2EC-B761D53E3BE1.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 12
The map I posted, Janice, mentions Highfield House. I don't believe we have seen a photo or description of that place or discussed it yet.

I think Highfield House existed until early 2000s. If it was at the corner of Highfield Road and Robin Hood Lane then I remember it. There was a lot of fuss in the papers especially as they chopped down the large tree visible in the photo. According to Wikipedia it was the farmhouse for Highfield Farm.

Attachments

• Highfield house.JPG
    Highfield house.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Janice

If you look at the old map that I posted you will see that Hillfield Farm and Hillfield hall were two separate entities. Hillfield farm is no longer in existence as it is now covered by new housing. Hillfield Hall was indeed at one time a very good restaurant and is still standing to day but has been converted into apartment and is now part of a cul de sac called Hillfield Hall Croft.
Thanks Phil - I have eaten at both the Hall (when a restaurant) and the Stables (when a pub). The photos in #2 say "demolished 1920" but Hillfield Farm is on maps until the 1970s and I am fairly certain I remember if being knocked down. So if it is Hillfield Farm as per Viv's #1 then it cannot be the same one - can it??

My son lived at Hillfield Cottage until a few years ago. It was built around 1803 and was very near to Hillfield Hall.

I'd care to resurrect this thread as I've just been looking in to this (for the second time). Originally I was confused by the "Hillfield Farm in Hall Green" label, knowing full well that Hillfield was the name of the area between Solihull town centre and Monkspath.
Looking at the second pair of photographs posted by Vivienne14 (the ones without the little girl) they are clearly labeled as "Highfield Farm" - demolished in 1920.
Now, Highfield House (which was demolished in 2012) was said to be the farmhouse to Highfield Farm. But I've searched the maps of the area and there is not a Highfield Farm. However, there is a farm named Hillclose Farm just across the road from Highfield House. I have looked at three maps from 1890, 1905 & 1916 and they all show Highfield House and Hillclose Farm. I believe that the photographs posted are of Hillclose Farm, even the footprint of the main building bears a close resemblance to that on the map.
I think that whoever labeled the first photograph (the one with the little girl) got confused with HILLclose Farm on highFIELD Road and the error has remained with the photograph. This is in spite of the fact that the other two photographs clearly say HIGHFIELD! Or, maybe, the OS made a mistake with the name of the farm and it got carried over from one map to another.
I dare say those responsible at the time will not be around to ask!!

I've attached the three maps.

Highfield House & Hillcote Farm - Hall Green - map c1890.jpg
Highfield House & Hillclose Farm - Hall Green - map c1890

Highfield House & Hillcote Farm - Hall Green - map c1905.jpg
Highfield House & Hillclose Farm - Hall Green - map c1905

Highfield House & Hillcote Farm - Hall Green - map c1916.jpg
Highfield House & Hillclose Farm - Hall Green - map c1916

Back