• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hill Top Farm Spitfires At The Ready

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi Guys
Here is an old picture of the spitfires ready for action already in postion
on stand bye to go out and protect our lad in the surrounding areas of brum
they are in the sheds on hilltop farm ,
Here is the photograph ,,

Attachments

• hill-top.jpg
    hill-top.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 73
I believe the aircraft are being assembled at Castle Bromwich. Hill Top Farm seems to be one of many anti aircraft sites protecting the essential manufacturing places.

Alan,

your photo is of the interior of the Castle Bromwich factory, possibly the final inspection line. There was certainly an anti-aircraft gun-emplacement at Hill Top Farm on the border of Handsworth and West Bromwich, but no airfield.

Read about it here: https://www.handsworthhistory.co.uk/defence.html. There are still some remains of the emplacement visible. I used to fly model planes at Hill Top Farm decades ago.

All the best,

G

Hi G
Many thanks for your replying to my photograph of the spitfies
i was aware of the final finishing sheds and i knew it was not on hilltop farm
i have got the news paper article with the whole information on it and them and picture of the ladies whom ran the phones
through out there operation its a very old news paper dated may 17 1983
I Will down load some of the photo,s that went with the spitfires and a picture of ladies whom was manning posts
As ARP,S as well best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,,,,

Hi G
Here is a couple of those photo,s i said was involved which was included with the hilltop spitfies
story lines women at war playing there part including the womens manning there postions

Attachments

• ScanImage001.jpg
    ScanImage001.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 35
  • ScanImage003.jpg
    ScanImage003.jpg
    670.5 KB · Views: 33
T
Hi G
Here is a couple of those photo,s i said was involved which was included with the hilltop spitfies
story lines women at war playing there part including the womens manning there postions

These are amazing photos! Are they definitely of Brummie women? I would love to see more of them for a research project I'm working on.

Hannah
I regret Astonian unfortunately has passed away and cannot answer your question

Newspaper, radio and other reports, during WW2, were required to be vague and not publish place manes and information that could be of use to the enemy.
A frequent comments was often "somewhere in England".

Back