• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hill Top Farm Handsworth

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
I'm hoping our resident map genius (mikejee of course) can help. Vivienne had posted a map showing Birchfield House, https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38467&page=2 post #29, and Mike posted later, #31, a 1938 version.
As you can see from Viv's map there's a Hill Top Farm to the left of Birchfield Rd opposite Birchfield House.

My G Grandfather farmed at a Hill Top Farm and I wondered if Mike could move his map a little bit further over to see if the farm was still there in 1938. The family were there from 1851 census to at least the 1891 census.

Thanks

David here is a 1950s map of the area, showing Hill Top Farm. You probably have this one already. Growing up in Handsworth, I used to go up to Hill Top now and then from Oxhill Road. I always thought the Hermit's Cave was around there, but this map has a red circle at the top of the page showing the Cave which was nearer the Bluebell Woods I think. Judy

s.jpg

This is a photo of the farm. As per Judy's map, it confirms the farm was there into the 1950s. I have a feeling I read somewhere the farm was there from the 17th century, but can't find where I read that. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329569419.791350.jpg

Thanks Judy and Viv.
I've always been unsure of which Hill Top Farm "mine" is. When I saw Viv's map with a Hill Top Farm just off the Birchfield Road and just below the word Handsworth I thought, that's it. Previously I had placed it where Judy's map shows it, by the golf course.
Now, however, doing more detective work (checking Census forms before and after "my" Hill Top Farm) I can see names which relate more to the "golf" one than the Birchfield one. There's mention of Manwoods on the 1851 census, Hamstead Rd on the 1871 and The Friary on the 1881. All are very close in the census for Hill Top Farm so I now go back to my original idea.
Here's a Cassini map 1831 - 1835 which shows the 2 locations.

hilltopfarmposition1075x1500.jpg

David here is a 1950s map of the area, showing Hill Top Farm. You probably have this one already. Growing up in Handsworth, I used to go up to Hill Top now and then from Oxhill Road. I always thought the Hermit's Cave was around there, but this map has a red circle at the top of the page showing the Cave which was nearer the Bluebell Woods I think. Judy

View attachment 73946

Sounds like the place our school (WilliamMurdoch) did cross country runs on. I used to hate cross country LOL

View attachment 73946
Regarding the cave, it is mentioned, along with Hill Top, in this article... https://www.handsworthhistory.co.uk/Handsworth-and-beyond.html

thanks for the link to that article gledbach ...i note it was written by paul holmes...i am assuming that it is the same paul holmes who was a member of this forum who sadly passed away recently

lyn

thanks for the link to that article gledbach ...i note it was written by paul holmes...i am assuming that it is the same paul holmes who was a member of this forum who sadly passed away recently

lyn
Hi Lyn, it could well be the same Paul. I am brand new to the forum. I spent a lot of my growing up doing things I shouldn't have really be doing over Hill Top. Or 'downs the lanes', or 'over the fields', as my mother used to say. No doubt she did things she shouldn't have been doing up there too... growing up on Stockwell Road before and around the war.

I have just joined the Forum and saw the posts about Hilltop Farm. The Lloyd family farmed there in the late 50's and early 60's. I don't remember the father's name, but the sons were Derek and Roger Lloyd. I believe they were tenant farmers.

View attachment 73946

View attachment 73946
Hello Jayell,
I am new to the Forum and like to add s.th.: I think you are a bit out with the hermits cave. Going down from Oxhill Road you did not go to Hill Top Farm or as we as kids called The Uplands. You had to go further right through the Bluebell Woods and this hermits cave was right by what we called The River Stink, because it was so polluted. We as kids used to go inside, it was a bit creepy. If you are interested, I was born in 39 and we used to go playing around the farm and in the farm yard. This was a couple of years after the war. Next to this farm yard was a POW Camp and they were still there, waiting to go home. Regards George

Hello Jayell,
I am new to the Forum and like to add s.th.: I think you are a bit out with the hermits cave. Going down from Oxhill Road you did not go to Hill Top Farm or as we as kids called The Uplands. You had to go further right through the Bluebell Woods and this hermits cave was right by what we called The River Stink, because it was so polluted. We as kids used to go inside, it was a bit creepy. If you are interested, I was born in 39 and we used to go playing around the farm and in the farm yard. This was a couple of years after the war. Next to this farm yard was a POW Camp and they were still there, waiting to go home. Regards George
George, I think you are correct on the cave. It was close to the river and we used to see who could ride fastest past it without sliding down the river bank. If I remember, at least in the winter (no leaves) you could see the Hamsted Colliery.

And welcome to the Forum, enjoy!

Is the cave you're speaking of by the river Tame in Hamstead?

If so I think I know it, a junior school classmate lived in The Croftway to the left of the Old Walsall Road looking north, just before where the railway line runs across.
I remember going into the woodland area behind the houses where the Tame runs and I vaguely remember she showed us the cave.

If so I think I know it, a junior school classmate lived in The Croftway to the left of the Old Walsall Road looking north, just before where the railway line runs across.
I remember going into the woodland area behind the houses where the Tame runs and I vaguely remember she showed us the cave.
this is correct, because it was so filthy we called it The River Stink. George

George, I think you are correct on the cave. It was close to the river and we used to see who could ride fastest past it without sliding down the river bank. If I remember, at least in the winter (no leaves) you could see the Hamsted Colliery.

And welcome to the Forum, enjoy!
Thank you, Richard,
the only colliery I know was behind Watson Poole where we used to go fishing (not allowed). We were coming from Douglas Rd by Handsworth Park which means we were coming from the other side so I am not so sure about the colliery name.

Thank you, Richard,
the only colliery I know was behind Watson Poole where we used to go fishing (not allowed). We were coming from Douglas Rd by Handsworth Park which means we were coming from the other side so I am not so sure about the colliery name.
Really pushing my memory but if your back is to the cave with the river Tame in front, the colliery it off slightly

A Sparks, that's the place!

Thank you, Richard,
the only colliery I know was behind Watson Poole where we used to go fishing (not allowed). We were coming from Douglas Rd by Handsworth Park which means we were coming from the other side so I am not so sure about the colliery name

From the colliery behind Watson Pool the coal used to be transported in small open trucks, coming from the pit full of coal towards West Bromwich, coming back on the other side empty. I would like to know where the trucks went to. Was it a canal? It must have gone underground somewhere. Does anyone know? This is from the early 50ies.

Back