• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hildercroft On Highfield Road

Bishopsmate

master brummie
I remember the big house on the corner of Highfield Road/ Paradise Lane when it was owned by a family named Fardon. They used to open the grounds for a Garden Fete every year to which I took my children. It was a lovely day and we all looked forward to it.
I was told at the time that they owned Fardon's Sauces (I think that was the name) but then it was converted into apartments and I don't know what happened to the family ..... or the sauces.

Thanks Maurice.
I checked the link but it is all about the factories, not the big house. I just wondered if anyone remembered the house and the garden fetes. No probs.

The house appears to be 287 Highland road in 1950, but 5 Paradise Lane in 1921, when Edwin Fardon lived there, the address changing between 1935 and 1939. The house was built sometime between about 1902 and 1913. In the 1911 census Edwin is in Vicarage Road, Kings Heath, with his widowed mother Anna , brother Ernest and another female ,27 , whose name I cannot interpret and whose relation seems to read "Complication". In 1901 he is also with his mother in Highdale (?) Showell Green Lane , employed as manager of a department in a vinegar brewery, while another son, surnamed Middleton was secretary to a vinegar brewery. They all seem to have escaped the 1891 census though But he obviously has a connection with vinegar, and would guess that anna is possibly the widow of the owner, but only a guess

Mike - I think might be "companion". It is hard to decide though. In 1891 the name is mistranscribed as Fordon - the Father is alive (Frederick). The address is 25 Grantham Road and he is "Secretary to Fardon's Vinegar Co Limited".

Janice

Last edited:
Edwin lived in Hildercroft Highfield Road until his death in 1946. I think it is his son John who sold Fardon's to Horlicks in 1962. Edwin's widow Hilda is still listed on the electoral roll at Highfield Road until at least 1950 but by 1955 she is at Viceroy Close.
Anna's adress at her death was Glympton Sratford Road Hall Green - I think from the electoral roll this was 1112 Stratford Road, Ernest seems to have lived with her.
Janice

Last edited:
Intriguingly 281 Highfield Road is the listed address on Hildercroft Management Co Ltd. Formed in 1983.
It looks as if 287 exists but is now 6 flats - as of 1982.

Janice

I remember the big house on the corner of Highfield Road/ Paradise Lane when it was owned by a family named Fardon. They used to open the grounds for a Garden Fete every year to which I took my children. It was a lovely day and we all looked forward to it.
I was told at the time that they owned Fardon's Sauces (I think that was the name) but then it was converted into apartments and I don't know what happened to the family ..... or the sauces.
Yes, I remember this well - I lived on Highfield Road until 1968 and used to go to the garden fetes at Hildercroft as a child. I seem to recall the Fardon’s may have had connections with St.Peter’s church on Highfield Road but not sure. I remember one of the games was a large white chalk line target on the lawn into which you had to lob large bomb shaped darts underarm to get nearest the centre. Happy days!

Back