• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Highgate Street Factory & Square

Maps

Attachments

• 1CD09637-4176-4948-A366-803CBA15452D.jpeg
    1CD09637-4176-4948-A366-803CBA15452D.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 17
  • E7B39DAD-F46D-4AC8-87B2-62B1DE5B06AA.jpeg
    E7B39DAD-F46D-4AC8-87B2-62B1DE5B06AA.jpeg
    666.8 KB · Views: 15
I have been researching Charles Iles and his company of thimble makers.

His first premises were in Coneybere Street but just before he died in 1870 he moved to premises in Highgate Street. To begin with this was just a dwelling house, with offices, with a covered gateway leading to a yard and workshops behind the house. A three-storey mill was built behind the offices and a steam engine and other machinery added later.The address remained, as 138 Highgate Street even though other properties in the street were acquired. It was known as ‘The Unity Works’. Employees lived in ‘back to back’ houses also in Highgate Street. Several generations of these families worked at the Iles factories.

This description is from a book by Norma Spicer called "Iles: a family of thimble makers"

Attached is a copy of a photo from the book of the premises in Highgate Street. I'm wondering if anyone has any other photographs of this part of Highgate Street or even has memories of the premises or even worked there? That would be marvelous and I would be really pleased but it was a long time ago. Thank you.

Can just make out the works on map on post 31 above. {RH} [Thank you Oldun]

The factory and houses were demolished in the early 1960s and Charles Iles moved to Tyseley.

iles.png

Last edited:
Back