• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Highgate Rd Tram and Bus Garage

horsencart

master brummie
I managed to get this photo https://www.flickr.com/photos/transport_photos/5957804916/in/photostream before the shutters came down of the the former Tram 1913--Jan 1937 and Bus Garage June 1937---1962 what may be of interest is that the roof has now gone but is soon to be replaced with a new one, the other thing I did see was that all the tram track appears to be still in situ the track have been there since 1913,

I must assume the the concrete that you see was put the after? the garage had closed in 1962 and it was put there by the ambulance people that moved in, the rumour is that the former tram and bus garage may become a market hall? the building next door used to be a electric motor rewind place and is currently under going a face lift I must keep my eyes on the place

The Highgate Road bus depot that I recall was a much larger place than the pic shows. As the place seems to have been closed by the BCT in 1962 I presume the new occupants compartmented it into smaller units.

I used to love looking in that depot - as I did many others. During the daytime all the older vehicles, which were usually only seen at certain times of the day were usually parked in there awaiting their 'rush periods' tours of duty.

The photo was taken from Studley St and as you say there is a lot more of the garage that cannot be seen, to the right of the photo of what I must assume was the offices this part has a new roof on it

The Highgate Road bus depot that I recall was a much larger place than the pic shows. As the place seems to have been closed by the BCT in 1962 I presume the new occupants compartmented it into smaller units.

I used to love looking in that depot - as I did many others. During the daytime all the older vehicles, which were usually only seen at certain times of the day were usually parked in there awaiting their 'rush periods' tours of duty.

Back