• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

High Street, Saltley

Hi, My name is Richard Taggart i was born at 8 Coleshill terrace in 1958. We were the last Family to leave the terrace in 1969. I have so many happy memories as a child and a few photos too . I have just joined this forum. so if i can help or find old childhood friends please contact me.

After the war we moved to Great Barr but dad kept the bakery going into the 1970's. We used to have drink in the Tilt Hammer on Saturday lunchtimes after all the baking was finished. There was an off licence on the corner of Adderly Rd and High St.
I can remember Bentleys the Taylor, a watch shop where I was bought my first watch, the vets, Chaplins, Abbots cars, Arthur Wallis the greengrocer, etc.
Around the corner in Adderly road there was a sweet shop, a green grocer and barbers shop near where the number 8 bus stopped. Everyone called the barber Denis because he looked like Denis Compton!

After the war we moved to Great Barr but dad kept the bakery going into the 1970's. We used to have drink in the Tilt Hammer on Saturday lunchtimes after all the baking was finished. There was an off licence on the corner of Adderly Rd and High St.
I can remember Bentleys the Taylor, a watch shop where I was bought my first watch, the vets, Chaplins, Abbots cars, Arthur Wallis the greengrocer, etc.
Around the corner in Adderly road there was a sweet shop, a green grocer and barbers shop near where the number 8 bus stopped. Everyone called the barber Denis because he looked like Denis Compton!

Hi Baker Boy. We lived opposite Barnes. I was born above Strutts the chemist, next to Wallis's the greengrocer. I knew Mr Barnes. I used to buy Russian slices from. He was a really nice bloke, as they all were around there. I knew the Copes and the Wallis's very well, as I did most of the local shopkeepers. Mr Pugh the vet, Jimmy Chaplin, Mr Chalice the seed merchant, Mr Major who worked at Darralls with Doreen and Thelma. My Grandmother and uncle owned the shoe repairers and timber yard at the corner of High Street and Washwood Heath Road. Next to them were Constances the ladies outfitters, the newsagents, the gents hairdresser, and Cells the electrical shop.

Hi bobbygee,
In your post you mention your Grandmother & Uncle owned the shoe repairers and timber yard at Saltley. I lived in Prince Albert Street at no 33, our Landlord was Mr Tommy Gough, who also owned timber yards on Green Lane [ Tel No Vic 1670 ] and the big Saw Mill at Coleshill. I spent so much of my youth as a friend of Peter and Philip, at Green Lane & Coleshill. Now my point is this, I have been to the Saltley Timber yard which if I remember correctly, was to the side and round the back of the shoe repair shop. I also sort of remember Frank & Sheila ? Gough living in Prince Albert Street.

Hi bobbygee,
In your post you mention your Grandmother & Uncle owned the shoe repairers and timber yard at Saltley. I lived in Prince Albert Street at no 33, our Landlord was Mr Tommy Gough, who also owned timber yards on Green Lane [ Tel No Vic 1670 ] and the big Saw Mill at Coleshill. I spent so much of my youth as a friend of Peter and Philip, at Green Lane & Coleshill. Now my point is this, I have been to the Saltley Timber yard which if I remember correctly, was to the side and round the back of the shoe repair shop. I also sort of remember Frank & Sheila ? Gough living in Prince Albert Street.

Hi Smallheathboy. You are correct on every count. My uncle Tom did run the Saltley and Green Lane timber yards. When they closed he moved to Alum Rock Road; opposite the Capital; next to the railway bridge. Peter and Paul are still in Coleshill. They have a place that mainly sells sheds and fencing. Their sister Pat has a guest house in Coleshill. My uncle Frank and aunty Sheila lived in Prince Albert Street. I remember visiting them there, before they moved to Solihull. He had a timber yard in Camp Hill. Tom, Frank, and my father were part of a family of five brothers and three sisters; sadly all now gone.

If there were any photos of the High Street on here at one time it looks as if they were lost. These were probably among them.

Attachments

• High Street Saltley 2[1].JPG
    High Street Saltley 2[1].JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Saltley High St 1960.jpg
    Saltley High St 1960.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Saltley High St 1961.jpg
    Saltley High St 1961.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Saltley High St by Hereford Square 1961.JPG
    Saltley High St by Hereford Square 1961.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Saltley High St.jpg
    Saltley High St.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 99
I Phil,
Morning Phil, its hard to believe that was the high street Saltley going by today's scene
Why did they destroyed the high street I say to myself looking back and of today's state was it with it
One lost community I say and just look at old Crawford street tat yard after tat yard and the state of the road is filled with rubbish
Trying to get down it that street alone had its community in the early years at least up to 1958
I remember the Blackburn family sad I think it is best wishes Alan ,Astonian,,,,,,,,.

Alan

A few more photos of High Street Saltley, a little earlier than the others these were taken in it's heyday.

Attachments

• Saltley High St (2).jpg
    Saltley High St (2).jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Saltley High St (3).JPG
    Saltley High St (3).JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Saltley High St (6).jpg
    Saltley High St (6).jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Saltley High St 1914.jpg
    Saltley High St 1914.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Saltley High St Nr Crawford St .jpg
    Saltley High St Nr Crawford St .jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 96
Hi Phil
Many thanks for those brilliant pics of bye Gone. Years I will down load them it really is a huge transformation from the given time period
What do you think the horse and cart was carrying Phil..
For all the crowds was awaiting the arrival it seems was it a coffin of inportants do you think was it chaberlin or some one connected to the city
Of Birmingham , maybe any answer to that
I see the old Crawford street on the right next to the pub just cannot. Think of the name at the moment
I only went in there twice when I met my old dutchess for the first time when we was courting with then the future father in law
He was a well known man in the Irish community and when we walked in every body came up and spoke to him
And the pints of Guinea,s was lined up across the bar counter one by one they came and bought him and me the Guinness
But being young and not a boozer then I said he would have to finish it and he did
Phil there used to be another pub directly across the road can you recall that name of that one
It was next to the start of the shops and there was a telephone out sdide it
It was demolished when they built that trading estate that's there in the late fifties
Have a good day Phil even thou the weather is rubbish ha,best wishes Alan. Astonian,,,,

I think picture 4 shows soldiers with the cart, and the date of 1914 could be some battalion setting of for WW1.

Alan

The fourth photo was taken in 1914 and involves the army, so it could be one of a couple of things, one it could be a collection of armaments that were being produced at the Metropolitan Works as they are just turning out of the then named Metropolitan Rd. It could also be as suggested a battalion setting out for the War as there was a Drill Hall back there as well. I have also seen another photo taken at the same time that suggests it was a recruiting parade.

The pub on the corner of Crawford St was the London Tavern, the one next to Metropolitan Rd was the Adderley Arms and further up on the same side just before Washwood Heath Rd was the gate, on the other corner diagonally was the Tilt Hammer.

Attachments

• Saltley High St 1917.JPG
    Saltley High St 1917.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 38
Hi Phil
Many thanks for your feed back and yes now I recall the London taven as an old friend of ours whom comes on here from time to time
Used to work there she is an old field from the neibourhood of Ladywood and an old school friend and neibour to my old Dutch ESS
And they have always kept in touch Maureen, she as worked a lot of pubs in her time around the Saltley and the green way by the blues
Where I was gonna take it on but being a villa I thought better of it
It was a shock when she learnt I was the new gaffer they was expecting to come I never introduced myself to any bar staff
Until I move in at any pubs I go in under cover and stand at the end of the bar and whatch the staff to see how they operated
Such for fiddles. If you stand at the very end of any bar in pubs you will see. Alsorts of mister meanders going on
And such be the case when I moved I always where possible brought my staff with me
Yes Maureen said hello All,we are expecting the new gather in today oh yes I said well that's me Maureen oh my god ,
But do not worry I am not coming in changed my mind and went else where,
But getting back on track I recall all the other pubs I am very family with most pubs as I was in with the brewery even banks brewers
I had the job of cleaning them up especially all the pubs with cheques history meaning troublesome pubs
And moved out after retiring to the country but I still see a lot of the people I have barred from certain pubs in. Brum even today
And certain Gathers I meet with
Its nice to know you have a good collection of photographs of pubs Phil, I am always watching the threads of pubs on here quite often
And look to what is said about them some are given the wrong address some time but not quite they are usaly correct
I do have a lot of history on most pubs in brum and past and present gathers today
Have a nice day. Phil keep in touch,,,,,Alan ,,,Astonian,,,,,

Hi There,
Great Photos. I was born in 1940 above the bakers shop next to abbot car sales. My dad started the bakery in 1935 and kept it going to the 1960's.
We were there during the war and went in the cellar during bombing aimed at the 'Met'.

In the 1950's I helped deliver bread all round Saltley, Nechells Ward End and Aston. I can remember the trams and most of the local shop keepers. In the late 50's my dad and I would have a drink in the Tilt H
ammer when baking was finished. Atkinsons bitter and it was very good!!

I think the fishing tackle shop was run by Jimmy Chaplin. He was next door to our bakery. He did a lot of dealings in war surplus material after the war and got a lot bigger. He had a big american car around 1948-9 and it caused quite a stir parked in High St!

Hi brummy nick and Phil,
Further to one of your pics Phil in Saltley no, 4 with the military and the wagon and the crowds of on lookers
I am just looking through one of carols books its called our brum volume 2. PRI ted by the event mail in conjunction with chinnie
And I just have that picture I asked you about

It turns out to be men of the 204 battalion medium field artillery turning out of metropolitan road, the site of the drill hall and Heading
Towards Saltley viaduct 1941. This was a territorial unit attached to nearby metropolitan carriage works
The shop on the left is the sub post office and paper shop swinglers, next door is the head quartets of the east Birmingham labour party
And then the adderly arms pub, with the gate street just past the shops with canopies
The An sells pub on the right is the London taveren, Advertising chops and steaks as well as Aston Ales
The information during sections of this photograph was given by Mr T,G Battle, and A Mr Alan Cronshaw whom supplied the pics of information
I hope you do not mind me filling the mixed info, Phil you are doing a great job, and I always look for your threads
Have a good day best wishes Alan Astonian,,,,,

Hi mike
Yes that's correct the problem being I was using the tablet and not the computer I know what it read and what I tapped in
And not checking the wording as and when I typed it in I know these tabbs do have a problem when typing and that they do silly things
And if you send some one a message it could cause a war ha especially by not checking your words after typing
But yes you are. Correct I have just pulled it back and that's what it done thanks anyway mike Alan,,,,

Alan

I have sorted the other photo out, the one that is tagged Saltley High St Recruitment Parade 1914. I see in this photo it is gun carriages that are being drawn by the horses.

I am in the process of sorting out what other photos I have of Saltley High Street, I will be posting them soon.

Attachments

• Saltley High St Recruitment Parade 1914.jpg
    Saltley High St Recruitment Parade 1914.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 60
Hi alan
I know what you mean. I prefer a proper keyboard. My texts sent from my new mobile phone would sometimes be utterly unintelligible if I did not keep on going back to correct them.

Hi mike yes you are correct these are use las I only used it for quickness when at home ,and last night late I was attempting to do it
Laser night but the dammed thing went dead on me this dammed note book
I know a lot about computers as I am in the business of selling computers and note books and lap tops of all descriptions and every connections
You name we sell them believe me not world wide we have every think for the electronics
We even serve the greater Manchester police chiefs inspector we have a warehouse in tyseley we also produce aluminium ubunto stickers
Which go world wide every day
So yes I know what my problems to expect we we use these silly gadgets best wishes mike Alan,,,,,Astonian,,,,,,,,,

Alan

I have sorted the last of my photos of the High Street, and these are they. By the way the other day when I listed the pubs on the High Street I forgot to mention the Coach Makers Arms which was on the same side as the London Tavern next door to Abbots Car Sales. You can see it on one of the earlier photos that I posted.

Attachments

• High Street Saltley.[1].JPG
    High Street Saltley.[1].JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Saltley High St The Gate.jpg
    Saltley High St The Gate.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Saltley London Tavern High St - Crawford St.jpg
    Saltley London Tavern High St - Crawford St.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Saltley Viaduct High Street[1].jpg
    Saltley Viaduct High Street[1].jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Saltley The Gate 1950.jpg
    Saltley The Gate 1950.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 91
Hi Phil,
Many thanks for that info,and great pics I will down load them keep them coming Phil
Best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,,,

my dad used to send me to chaplains together his maggots to go fishing either with th gardeners or the cross guns

Hello Baker Boy, I remember the army surplus at The Gate. I still use the steel box I bought. Do you remember the Penguin Cafe on Washwood Heath Rd? I and my sisters used it as a meeting point for friends. John

Hi Bobg, did you use the snooker table that was upstairs at The Cross Guns? Three or four of us were not old enough to drink but the landlord knew my dad and he let us use it. John

Hello Baker Boy, I remember the army surplus at The Gate. I still use the steel box I bought. Do you remember the Penguin Cafe on Washwood Heath Rd? I and my sisters used it as a meeting point for friends. John
Hello johnfc,
I vaguely remember the Penguin Cafe at the start of Washwood Heath Rd. We used to supply them with Cakes and bread rolls in the 50' and 60's. We supplied many of the small corner shops around Saltley, Nechells and Duddeston as well as Cafes like the Penguin. I particularly remember help deliver to a bus depot's cafe further up Washwood Heath.

Back