• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

High Street, Saltley

Anyone know when and why everything was knocked down? In picture 1 of 5 above (late 60s ?) it still looks a thriving area. I remember in the late 70s, apart from a couple of the pubs, what was left was derelict.

Hi Richard, I lived at 10 Corfield Terrace from 1952 until 1957. Suzanne

Last edited:
Hi Phil
Many thanks for those brilliant pics of bye Gone. Years I will down load them it really is a huge transformation from the given time period
What do you think the horse and cart was carrying Phil..
For all the crowds was awaiting the arrival it seems was it a coffin of inportants do you think was it chaberlin or some one connected to the city
Of Birmingham , maybe any answer to that
I see the old Crawford street on the right next to the pub just cannot. Think of the name at the moment
I only went in there twice when I met my old dutchess for the first time when we was courting with then the future father in law
He was a well known man in the Irish community and when we walked in every body came up and spoke to him
And the pints of Guinea,s was lined up across the bar counter one by one they came and bought him and me the Guinness
But being young and not a boozer then I said he would have to finish it and he did
Phil there used to be another pub directly across the road can you recall that name of that one
It was next to the start of the shops and there was a telephone out sdide it
It was demolished when they built that trading estate that's there in the late fifties
Have a good day Phil even thou the weather is rubbish ha,best wishes Alan. Astonian,,,,
My grandad used to use the London tavern

After the war we moved to Great Barr but dad kept the bakery going into the 1970's. We used to have drink in the Tilt Hammer on Saturday lunchtimes after all the baking was finished. There was an off licence on the corner of Adderly Rd and High St.
I can remember Bentleys the Taylor, a watch shop where I was bought my first watch, the vets, Chaplins, Abbots cars, Arthur Wallis the greengrocer, etc.
Around the corner in Adderly road there was a sweet shop, a green grocer and barbers shop near where the number 8 bus stopped. Everyone called the barber Denis because he looked like Denis Compton!

The bakery ....

Bakery.jpg

I have sorted the other photo out, the one that is tagged Saltley High St Recruitment Parade 1914. I see in this photo it is gun carriages that are being drawn by the horses.

I can help with this photograph as I have an original - hence the close-up of Swingler's .....

Territorial Artillery and Swingler.jpg

My photograph is labelled August 1914 so I looked this up in the newspapers. The cutting below is taken from the Birmingham Daily Gazette published on Wednesday 12 August 1914 .....

Territorial Artillery.jpg

and this cutting is from the Birmingham Mail published on Monday 10 August 1914 ...

Territorial Artillery 2.jpg

After the war we moved to Great Barr but dad kept the bakery going into the 1970's. We used to have drink in the Tilt Hammer on Saturday lunchtimes after all the baking was finished. There was an off licence on the corner of Adderly Rd and High St.
I can remember Bentleys the Taylor, a watch shop where I was bought my first watch, the vets, Chaplins, Abbots cars, Arthur Wallis the greengrocer, etc.
Around the corner in Adderly road there was a sweet shop, a green grocer and barbers shop near where the number 8 bus stopped. Everyone called the barber Denis because he looked like Denis Compton!
the vets fasinated me when we past i looked in the window at the animal skelitons,and item that had been eating and was in the stomachs

Last edited:
Thanks so much for displaying the photo of the bakers shop where I was born. It brings back so many memories around the war time when the area was under threat of bombing at the "Met" who were making Tanks.

Do you know the date of the photo?

Thanks so much for displaying the photo of the bakers shop where I was born. It brings back so many memories around the war time when the area was under threat of bombing at the "Met" who were making Tanks.

Do you know the date of the photo?

May 1960 - any memories of the record shop? I speak, of course, with my former record shop-owner's hat on!

I think the fishing tackle shop was run by Jimmy Chaplin. He was next door to our bakery. He did a lot of dealings in war surplus material after the war and got a lot bigger. He had a big american car around 1948-9 and it caused quite a stir parked in High St!

Pre-war directories list James Chaplain as a wireless dealer - he was still flogging radios when this pic was taken and seemingly undercutting the opposition ....

Saltley Chaplain.jpg

Edward and Dorothy Dainty kept the London Tavern for much of the 1930s. He was formerly an engineer whilst his wife had worked as an office clerk. Note how you can make out Fox & Co, on the roof tiles. Nice ghost sign ....

high-street-saltley-london-tavern.jpg

I remember Jimmy Chaplains shop mainly as it was around 1947-1948 when I was about 10. War surplus was big business and I remember Goggles , water bottles, ammunition boxes and lots of electric/ electronic walkie Talkie equipment being available. My dad was a big mate of Potter the pork butcher in Alum Rock and they did some business together as butcher and Baker in post war Birmingham

Its easy to forget that there was more rationing after the war than during hostilities. Meat had always been on ration but bread wasn't rationed until around 1947 - 1949

I remember Jimmy Chaplains shop mainly as it was around 1947-1948 when I was about 10. War surplus was big business and I remember Goggles , water bottles, ammunition boxes and lots of electric/ electronic walkie Talkie equipment being available. My dad was a big mate of Potter the pork butcher in Alum Rock and they did some business together as butcher and Baker in post war Birmingham
we used Jimmy Chaplains for all our fishing gear. me and dad walked from nechells. i loved having a mooch in there. i was about 6.

Its easy to forget that there was more rationing after the war than during hostilities. Meat had always been on ration but bread wasn't rationed until around 1947 - 1949
mom made our bread. when the tin was not being used for baking,it was my landing craft for my toy soldiers.
we always had meat.1596528637930.png

A copy of the photograph from which this is taken appears in the Pubs of the Past thread. However, being as I have an original I thought I would zoom in and show some Saltley folk outside the public-house. I am not sure of the occasion or event - there is no transport in view so is not an outing [I don't think so anyway] but a gathering. If anybody recognises a great-grandparent please shout up ...

high-street-saltley-adderley-arms-customers.jpg

I remember Jimmy Chaplains shop mainly as it was around 1947-1948 when I was about 10. War surplus was big business and I remember Goggles , water bottles, ammunition boxes and lots of electric/ electronic walkie Talkie equipment being available.

Hi,

I bought a beautiful brass Silvertown Telegraph Galvanometer ( a phone line tester) from Jimmy
Chaplain in the seventies. He asked me what it was, and when I told him, he said ' Well, as
you know what it is, you can have it for a fiver, and you better have the leather case as well!'

I hadn't noticed the case, but I still have both today.

I worked at the Met at Washwood heath at the time, and Washwood Heath Road, and Saltley
High Street were a 'must visit' at lunchtimes, especially for records.

Stay safe

Kind regards
Dave

Hi,

I bought a beautiful brass Silvertown Telegraph Galvanometer ( a phone line tester) from Jimmy
Chaplain in the seventies. He asked me what it was, and when I told him, he said ' Well, as
you know what it is, you can have it for a fiver, and you better have the leather cas

Stay safe

Kind regards
Dave
a wonderfull aladdins cave. i still have my fishing rods. ..they were the only place i know that sold the blanks,so you could make your own rods

:mad: I remember that civic tv shop.mom bought a transitor radio off the. it worked for a while and gave up the ghost. my mom and i who was about 9 thent ook it back the next day only to be told hard cheese mrs. you bought it. we cant do anything for you. grrr

Here's a couple of shots from Saltley. The one is a view of my Grandmother's shoe repair shop and timber yard. The next is a bit sad, but shows the community spirit and interest in those day. It is of my aunt's funeral leaving Saltley for Yardley cemetery. The next is a view up the Alum Rock Road from the window of the shop.

Attachments

• Washwood Heath Road01.jpg
    Washwood Heath Road01.jpg
    699 KB · Views: 72
  • Marge Funeral.jpg
    Marge Funeral.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Alum Rock Road.jpg
    Alum Rock Road.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 72
Nice to see a shot of bottom of AlumRock. That's the Tilt Hammer Pub on right on the corner
er of Adderly Road.

Back