• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

High Street, Saltley

Just prepared this for my website but thought I would share it here - what a pic! It is on the corner of High Street and Metropolitan Road ...

View attachment 147281
With reference to the groups in posts 78 and 79, my grandparents, Albert and Elizabeth Wiltshire could have been there. Lizzie died in 1918 and Albert in 1927. They lived at 6 Corfield Terrace. I think Albert frequented the Tilt Hammer.

I remember Carol and Ron, also Barry who worked for them. They had another shop up Washwood Heath.

I remember Carol and Ron, also Barry who worked for them. They had another shop up Washwood Heath.
My parents Jim and Lily and I moved into 41 High street in 1936 when I was two, and opened up as a fishing tackle shop. No 39 was a Ladies hairdressers and 43 was gents barber, where I had my first haircut. Both of them during the war. I'm not sure when but my father rented the barbers shop and extended our shop into it renting the living accomodation being rented to I think a Mr and Mrs Yates and later renting the same at 43 to a Mrs Green her husband away in the war. We moved from there in about 1940 to live in Woodwells road to get away from the bombing although a delayed action one landed about fifty yards from our house. As best as I can remember there was an outdoor on the corner with Adderley Rd then a double fronted gents outfitter then a vets then the salvation army . I hope this is of interest to you.

My parents Jim and Lily and I moved into 41 High street in 1936 when I was two, and opened up as a fishing tackle shop. No 39 was a Ladies hairdressers and 43 was gents barber, where I had my first haircut. Both of them during the war. I'm not sure when but my father rented the barbers shop and extended our shop into it renting the living accomodation being rented to I think a Mr and Mrs Yates and later renting the same at 43 to a Mrs Green her husband away in the war. We moved from there in about 1940 to live in Woodwells road to get away from the bombing although a delayed action one landed about fifty yards from our house. As best as I can remember there was an outdoor on the corner with Adderley Rd then a double fronted gents outfitter then a vets then the salvation army . I hope this is of interest to you.
Hi Steffan, I was born above the bakers at 35 High St Saltley just before the war started. Dad kept the bakers open all through the war. I was evacuated for a few months but returned home early in 1940 just as the bombing started!!
We shared the cellar with Arthur Wallis the green grocer when the bombers were targeting the "Met".
I knew Saltley well and in early teens delivered bread all around Saltley, Ward End, Aston and Nechells.
Still support Villa but don't get there these days.

A copy of the photograph from which this is taken appears in the Pubs of the Past thread. However, being as I have an original I thought I would zoom in and show some Saltley folk outside the public-house. I am not sure of the occasion or event - there is no transport in view so is not an outing [I don't think so anyway] but a gathering. If anybody recognises a great-grandparent please shout up ...

View attachment 147252

I have uploaded some information on this photograph at : https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/high-street-saltley/adderley-arms.htm - quite an important bit of social history.

Back