• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

High Street, Saltley

wendyP

master brummie
Can anyone help please. I am looking for a list of shops that were on the High Street Saltley in the late 50's, early 60's.
Would be very grateful of your help.
WendyP

Hello wendyp, i suggest you type in the search alum rock shops,it has been popular of late. regards dereklcg

Hi Derek, Yes I have seen all those shops going up the Rock from the Gate, Saltley, but what I wanted was the shops just before the Gate. In other words the shops that were nearer to the Bridge going in to town.

Hello wendyp i know there was,nt a lot there i think there was chamberlains fishing tackle, a pub a cafe, and as postie said insurance offices,Alf or ger22van mite know more when they,re on.
regards Derek

Oh I dont remember Spring Insurance, so thanks for that. There was a chemist and shop called Copes and Abbotts Car Sales, and a pub called Coachmakers Arms but thats all I can recall. Thanks for the Chamberlains fishing tackle shop - I do remember that now you have said it.
There was also a television shop. There was a lot more shops than you would think. I think the chemist was on the corner of Gate Street.
Thank you all so much for your help.
Wendy

wendy there was struts the chemist, civic tv and radio,copes newsagent,chaplins fishing tackle the vets and there was a dry cleaners i think there name was harris

There was a veterinarians close to the fishing tackle shop where we got our maggots.

Hi there

The Midland Bank on the corner of Hereford Square and High Street.
Also Edwards second hand Radio and TV shop, but I only remember that from the early 70's.

Kind regards

Dave

Derek, Thank you for that lovely photo, it looks like the 56 bus is going over the bridge towards town.

Hi,
Just found this thread and wondered if any of the photos showed a shop window with a toy train running in it! I used to be fascinated by this shop window, but I only saw it on a Sunday so the shop was never open! It would have been late 50's early 60's, does anyone else recall it?
Many thanks

Hi All

Anyone remember the second hand shop in the 1970's, a couple of doors from
the Gate pub. It was called Caron's (the couple who ran it were Carol and Ron).

Kind regards

Dave

Apparently there was a Salvation Army on High Street Saltley from 1915 to 1930 .... would this be correct?

It was between Corfield terrace and Coleshill terrace, which was directly opposite the end of Gate St
Mike

I wonder - when the Salvation Army in Saltley closed (prior to 1936), I wonder did it relocate to Alum Rock Road - because the corps there started in 1935.

there used to be a temprence place telling us about the evils of drink
it was facing copes's in 1950s

Back