• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

High Street query

Dennis Williams

Gone but not forgotten
Came across these shots of the old High Street when researching the Midland Arcade, and as I have a love of Old Lamps, USUALLY outside old pubs, I wondered what the heck this lovely building with these three beauties. which appear to next to No 30 High Street, on the right of the photo, is or was?....anyone got a Kelly's for the turn of the century or before when I'm guessing these photos were taken?....cheers if you can help....

45073572_2453362264680009_9071651256266653696_o.jpgHigh St postcard old.jpgHigh Street  looking down to Dale end.jpgHigh Street.jpgHighStTurkishBath.jpgimage-1.jpegimage-2.jpegMidland arcade Map.jpg

Dennis, I think most of these photos are in the High Street thread, also Then and Now. Comments are there about some of them.
Lots about The Midland and other city arcades here:

Ammended post.

Last edited:
This would be no 31. the 1900 Kellys lists this as Lewis Frederick Neale, hatter. If you stretch then first photo then it is possible to read "hatter" across the top of the building , and "Neale" below it
high st no 31 stretched.jpg

If you look at the very top of the picture from the Illustrated London News, which is pictured here and posted on the High Street Thread by Vivienne, you cand see the number 31 and the name Neale. The picture is date during the 1887 Queen's visit.

E and LF Neale, Hatters, were around in 1878. The partnership was dissolved in 1882, and the
firm carried on by Lewis Frederick Neale who may have died in 1900. In 1905 an Albert Edward Longmore, Hatter, was at the premises.

Back