• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

High Street Deritend

fergie

master brummie
Has anyone got any old photographs of the High Street Deritend, my interest is due to discovering that John Bartlett and John Bartlett Jnr had premises at Ct 10 High Street Deritend, from 1839 until approx 1901, he was a hop press maker, steel mill maker or malt crusher.

I've recently found an advertisement in the Birmingham Daily Post 1874 advertising John Bartlett the Manufacturer of the Newly invented Hop Press. The address is given as 9 Court Opposite the Old Crown Deritend. I believe this to be John Bartlett Jnr.

This is the view opposite the Crown before modernisation. I think the junction (traffic lights) would be Alcester Street.

Attachments

• Deritend Opposite Crown pub.jpg
    Deritend Opposite Crown pub.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 95
In the 1849 directory there is a
Bartlett John Steel Mill Maker, Ct 10 High St Deritend and Pawnbroker 2 Warwick St

Has anyone got any old photographs of the High Street Deritend, my interest is due to discovering that John Bartlett and John Bartlett Jnr had premises at Ct 10 High Street Deritend, from 1839 until approx 1901, he was a hop press maker, steel mill maker or malt crusher.

I note that there is another High Street Deritend thread but that seems to feature posts and photographs of Digbeth and Bordesley. I must admit to being slightly irritated by the widespread use of the term Digbeth in the press, books, websites, blogs and the like. The Old Crown, for example is not in Digbeth. And many refer to the Rainbow as a Digbeth pub but it is in Bordesley, as is the Waggon and Horses in Adderley Street. Loads of media bods refer to the Custard Factory as being in Digbeth but it is 100% Deritend.

Anyway, gripe over, I have a few images of High Street Deritend so I will post them here. Some will have been seen elsewhere, often in poor quality reproductions, but others will hopefully be unfamiliar views. I am starting at No.1 .....

If someone can define where Digbeth and Deritend is, I’m happy to sort out (as far as I am able) the threads/posts that are wrongly labelled. At least on a history forum we should be capable of getting that right !

And I can annotate the threads concerned to define the two areas. Rather than clutter up this thread I’ve started a separate thread called “Defining Digbeth and Deritend”. Viv.

Last edited:
If someone can define where Digbeth and Deritend is, I’m happy to sort out (as far as I am able) the threads/posts that are wrongly labelled. At least on a history forum we should be capable of getting that right !

And I can annotate the threads concerned to define the two areas. Rather than clutter up this thread I’ve started a separate thread called “Defining Digbeth and Deritend”. Viv.

Hi Viv
I have included a paragraph on my page which tries to sort this issue....

"Many people seem to get a little mixed up or confused with Deritend High Street. Understandable in some respects as the road from the Bull Ring to Camp Hill seems like one long seamless thoroughfare. However, the area of Digbeth ended at the River Rea and once formed the boundary between Birmingham and Deritend and Bordesley in Aston. Having said that, Deritend High Street officially started at Milk Street on the north side so there are some properties on the west side of the river that belong to the thoroughfare. And rather than finish on a street junction, the north side of Deritend High Street finished a few doors away from Adderley Street. Across the road the south side started or finished at Court No.13 next to the King's Head, the latter being in Bordesley High Street. The boundary between Deritend High Street and Digbeth was a few doors from Court No.1, almost directly opposite Milk Street so, again, there are some buildings included on the western side of the river."

Of course, this refers to the main road, not the 'loose' areas of Digbeth and Deritend. These extended north and south by a few streets. For example, the area of Deritend extended to Cheapside. These areas are very hard to define, though old rate books make it clearer. So, for example, Bradford Street started in town, became part of the Digbeth area, then Deritend once it crossed river, and finally in Bordesley up the top end.

Back