• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

High Street Aston

Lyn, this 1st photo shows No 90 High St when it was a house. Later photos show it to have converted to a shop ( 2nd photo).
Some members can't recall as to where these places were so I have pointed out Hawkins & Burlington Hall. Sorry for the clarity of the 2nd photo as it's a part of a larger one.View attachment 141625View attachment 141626
You can clearly see Hawkins, known locally as "Orkinziz" It was a white store with those solid glass blocks for windows. I also recall that it radial or curved ends...
Dave A

Something in the Water.... could be it made good sauce.

There's something in the water, calling my name
Too deep to hear, no idea
The message you sent, well it ain't clear
I'm holding on to the past, my mother says I'm growing up fast
Oh time is gone with a blink
It's time to think and put your worries aside
Today is just today and tomorrow never dies
So never live on a regret
Take every moment you get and actions speak louder than words
So shout to the sky if your words can not be heard

Last edited:
I just realised that I have a view of that row of buildings discussed in some detail on the thread. It's not a great photograph but, as they say. owt is better than nowt ...

Attachments

• High Street Aston - Burlington Hall.jpg
    High Street Aston - Burlington Hall.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 70
Great photos of a road I used a lot but until I saw these photos couldn't even remember those shops. If it's the same one, I remember the tailors shop because in1960 my Dad bought a roll of suit fabric from a bloke in a pub. He took me to be measured up and a suit was made. Problem was, for me anyway, the trouser bottoms were not narrow enough. One day, after I had saved up my part time wages, I sneaked the trousers out and took them to Goulds on the corner of Inkerman St and had them tapered to 14inch bottoms. I don't think my Dad ever did notice the difference.
I used to have all my suits tailor made at Goulds tailors50's60's

Post 93 (the adverts) show two for Richards a pork butcher. In 1944 he was at 202 but by 1950 he has extended the shop and is now at 200 or he moved next door.
I wonder if Mrs. F. Jones, who had a second hand clothing shop in 1944 at No. 61, was any relation to Mr.H.F. Jones who, in 1949 was at 138a and selling new leather goods, handbags and fancy goods?
Mr. Jones probably had a good clientele for her second hand items, especially in 1944 with clothing coupons curtailing your choice. If related it is possible that Mr. Jones, in 1944, was in the armed forces or employed in a full time job in civil defence or war work so he would have no time for a shop.
With reference to clothing and other coupons required for many purchased during and after WW2, I note that Black's the drapers, in 1944, advised spending your coupons wisely, by shopping with them. They are the only trader not local to Aston, they were at Cape Hill it seems.
I know some women took over the husbands employment when they were called up for war service. A woman used to call to my home for insurance payments; her husband had been the official agent.

Post 93 (the adverts) show two for Richards a pork butcher. In 1944 he was at 202 but by 1950 he has extended the shop and is now at 200 or he moved next door.
I wonder if Mrs. F. Jones, who had a second hand clothing shop in 1944 at No. 61, was any relation to Mr.H.F. Jones who, in 1949 was at 138a and selling new leather goods, handbags and fancy goods?
Mr. Jones probably had a good clientele for her second hand items, especially in 1944 with clothing coupons curtailing your choice. If related it is possible that Mr. Jones, in 1944, was in the armed forces or employed in a full time job in civil defence or war work so he would have no time for a shop.
With reference to clothing and other coupons required for many purchased during and after WW2, I note that Black's the drapers, in 1944, advised spending your coupons wisely, by shopping with them. They are the only trader not local to Aston, they were at Cape Hill it seems.
I know some women took over the husbands employment when they were called up for war service. A woman used to call to my home for insurance payments; her husband had been the official agent.
You a;so had Zissmans clothes shop opposite the BRMB studios

I believe the BRMB - formerly a cinema and theatre - was in Aston Road North. There is a thread for that road.

I just noticed Blacks, drapers, were in High Street, Aston as well as Cape Hill - hence the Hippodrome advert. I also failed to mention that Mr. Lambert, the newsagent and tobacconist, if he was not teetotal, did not have far to go for a drink ;) ; he was next door to the Barton Arms his advert says.

Back