• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

High Street Aston

getting closer lynn...if you look at the map i posted you will see where it says HALL here is a photo of the hall so your moms house is just out of shot to the left of the hallView attachment 141599....would anyone know if it was hawkins jellied eel shop at no 88..i have a vague memory of it being on a corner somewhere around there...

lyn
Hawkins was a bit further up Lyn, but not on the corner.
Dave A

getting closer lynn...if you look at the map i posted you will see where it says HALL here is a photo of the hall so your moms house is just out of shot to the left of the hallView attachment 141599....would anyone know if it was hawkins jellied eel shop at no 88..i have a vague memory of it being on a corner somewhere around there...

lyn
if i remember right it was just past the hall going up the hill on the right, just by a pawn shop/junk shop before the corner of park lane.the woman who worked there had bleach blond hair,i remember her.but that is a pm story

Wow Lyn that's fantastic!! Silly me getting a bit emotional now thinking thats where my lovely Mom came into the world...

dont worry about it i have wept a few times when i have found a photo that means something to me...as i said the photo does not actually show no 90 but we are getting closer...i will check out my aston photos when i have time in case i have one taken a tad further up from the hall..

hi dave thanks for that info i dont know why i thought hawkins was on a corner :rolleyes:

dont worry about it i have wept a few times when i have found a photo that means something to me...as i said the photo does not actually show no 90 but we are getting closer...i will check out my aston photos when i have time in case i have one taken a tad further up from the hall..

hi dave thanks for that info i dont know why i thought hawkins was on a corner :rolleyes:
It's close enough Lyn! It's so wonderful to be able to take a peek back into the past, this truly is a great forum. Thanks again.

Thanks for the map Mike - Getting closer Lyn ! And weren't shopkeepers smart in those days!!

oh they were indeed lynn...i think that overall folk took pride in themselves...even the badly built houses and back to backs such as i was born in were kept the best that they could be...in those days folk didnt have lot and could not afford to just throw away anything that was half decent...its a very different world today and i have to say i am so glad that i grew up back then..this is turning into a lovely thread...keep the posts coming folks:)

lyn

Is that on the other side of the road Lyn? And was Burlington Hall also called Burlington Hall Hotel? Theres an old facebook photo of it. It has a slightly different roof.

Is that on the other side of the road Lyn? And was Burlington Hall also called Burlington Hall Hotel? Theres an old facebook photo of it. It has a slightly different roof.

yes the other side to your moms...you can just see the domed roof of the globe picture house at the bottom of the photo...sorry i dont no if burlington hall and burlington hall hotel were one and the same...i bet someone will know though

lyn

is that potters hill? i thought high st is were the bus is

no not potters hill pete as you can see the domed roof of the globe picture house which was on the corner of high st and new street looks like the bus is turning down new street..think ive got that correct...now i am doubting myself :rolleyes:

lyn

Great Photo Lyn. I have never seen this one before.....I cannot remember that side of the high street at all, I am sure most if not all of the side of the road was knocked down in the late 1950's earlier 1960's.I was wondering about the bus myself, it looks like its turning into the high street, what number bus would that be or is it a bus returning to garage....

Great Photo Lyn. I have never seen this one before.....I cannot remember that side of the high street at all, I am sure most if not all of the side of the road was knocked down in the late 1950's earlier 1960's.I was wondering about the bus myself, it looks like its turning into the high street, what number bus would that be or is it a bus returning to garage....

hi john its dated 1961..well if that is the globe picture house on the corner the bus is either turning into new st or coming out of it...dont think its the no 8 in fact i dont know if a bus went down new st as you say it could be a returning bus heading for miller st depot...we need some help :eek:

lyn

Last edited:
I initially thought Inner Circle 8. It might be an 8 as the bus may be on a detour due to the construction of the Hockley flyover and other things happening at the time maybe?

51 posts here since midday. Another BHF record? :laughing:

alan the hockley flyover came much later than 1961...i think its just a random bus...the main thing is we are sure that the photo is of high street aston..ps ive just made it 52 posts :grinning:

lyn

Blimey, I started something here! Lyn is right about New Street - the bus is emerging from New Street onto the High Street.

Lyn, I found another thread for High Street so I have wrecked the forum!!

Here's one taken from where the bus was located, looking back up the hill ....

High Street Aston from Globe Cinema.jpg

no you have not wrecked the forum kieron we can always merge this thread with the other one later on...yes another great photo must go and take a good look at that window cleaner:)just had a look and i dont think its our dad...not got the same stance

no you have not wrecked the forum kieron we can always merge this thread with the other one later on...yes another great photo must go and take a good look at that window cleaner:)
Lyn, apparently the Burlington Hall was originally the Beaconsfield Hotel. There's a post of it on Pubs of the Past thread #251. I'm getting quite the detective on here now ! :laughing:

I understand the Hockley Flyover opened in 1968, so my suggestion was a detour as the preparation (demolitions and diversions) may have commenced.
Picture 19 shows Aston High Street in 1962 (it is already somewhere on BHF - maybe the other thread)

Could someone look on They were caught on old street pics thread # 1205 and tell me if that big building on the left is Burlington Hall please? If so I've found a pic of my moms birthplace!

Back