• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

High Speed Train 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Work has begun on HS2 in my area.
The timber yard on the Birmingham Road between Chelmsley and Coleshill has now closed down and work has started on the land, also in the fields opposite and in the fields in Gilson close to Coleshill Manor.
What a shame such lovely fields.
The plans show that there will be quite a few Viaducts for the train to pass over the River Cole in 3 0r 4 places and the M42, M6 and M6 toll road.
Looks like we will be in for some disruption for a long time.

Last edited:
i agree about losing the lovely fields alberta but i am afraid that not just the countryside but inner city areas will also suffer with the demolision of houses and buildings of interest as the bulldozers and wrecking balls wreak havoc ....:(

I believe those on the route have already sold their properties to HS2, as they (HS2 Ltd) have been buying up property for some time now. Last year it was reported they were receiving revenue through short term lets. The route also avoid major housing if possible, although there is now some controversy on the routing near Chesterfield which will probably affect a new housing estate.

The act is for Phase 1 to Birmingham and the West Coast Main Line. Acts for Plase 2a and 2b are yet to pass Parliament, as is the Northern scheme across the Pennines (formerly called HS3).

Just an observation. In the twelve years between 1840 and 1852 some 4600 miles of railways were built in UK. This was without the sophisticated equipment now available. How long is HS2 going to take?

Progress was ever thus! Although it's not easy, I try to keep in mind how all the poor people in our city centre felt when Chamberlain flattened their homes to built Corporation Street. At least those affected by HS2 have a chance of alternative accommodation through the sale of their properties - the dispossessed of the 19th Century were just moved out.

A few years ago blocks of flats were planned for the rear of the properties in this road (blooming ugly things with solar panels on the top). Obviously they went ahead altering our view and blocking our sunsets. We objected and spoke to many of the neighbours. One elderly lady who lived on the main road in a Victorian house said she wouldn't sign the petition. Our house is built on the site of an old farm and she said 'I cried when they built your houses on the orchards'.

I still don't like HS2 though.

Progress was ever thus! Although it's not easy, I try to keep in mind how all the poor people in our city centre felt when Chamberlain flattened their homes to built Corporation Street. At least those affected by HS2 have a chance of alternative accommodation through the sale of their properties - the dispossessed of the 19th Century were just moved out.

A few years ago blocks of flats were planned for the rear of the properties in this road (blooming ugly things with solar panels on the top). Obviously they went ahead altering our view and blocking our sunsets. We objected and spoke to many of the neighbours. One elderly lady who lived on the main road in a Victorian house said she wouldn't sign the petition. Our house is built on the site of an old farm and she said 'I cried when they built your houses on the orchards'.

I still don't like HS2 though.
Been there done that, where we used to live we had a field with a twenty year agricultural use covenant on it. At the start of the twentieth year planning was put in an despite many objections, passed and high quality houses and bungalows were built. There was a bungalow behind us, but it was a big one and whereas we had a back bank five feet high, on their side the same bank was only two feet high, the developers built the ground up. It was also only 10 feet from the bank. We sold (well I should add) and left.
Bob

High Speed 2 construction is now taking place on different parts of the route. Whatever those opinion for or against, the reality it is here. The portacabins are erected near Curzon Street and this site now has a presence with workers there on a regular basis. I worked at Curzon Street Parcels Depot in the 1970's and whilst all that was there has now gone, that depot was then new having replaced the previous goods depot, and that had in turn replaced the two passenger stations of the Grand Junction and London & Birmingham Railway.

When I was at Curzon Street, there were times I took people into the old buildings. I recall a mummified cat on the table near the entrance and often wonder how that cat came to be there.

When the buildings wer open to visit a couple of years ago the mummified cat was on display

Some local activity of interest in relation to the HS2 project, see attached.

Attachments

• Notice of archaeological works A452 A45.pdf
    319.4 KB · Views: 29
Interesting to read about and follow the progress. I suppose until the work gets underway in Birmingham (rather than Solihull or Warwickshire) then it will be peripheral to BHF. Fortunately the Forum has a few dedicated spies who will keep track on events for everyone's benefit.

The former Stupids (Students ) Accommodation Flats that were on on Curzon St, its demolition is well under way and the demolition of Lawford Close and the small businesses will soon start, all to Make way for the HS2 Railway

I have taken a few photos for my archive

Work is well on its way in my area, hundreds of beautiful trees have been cut down between Coleshill and the A45. Saw the scaffold being erected today for the gantries that will go. over the M6 where the railway will cross it, just on the outskirts of Coleshill and Chelmsley.. There is quite a little town of portacabins in the nearby fields

There's some work going on on Aston Church Road where one of Taroni's scrapyard was. I think that has something to do with HS2.

The former Stupids (Students ) Accommodation Flats that were on on Curzon St, its demolition is well under way and the demolition of Lawford Close and the small businesses will soon start, all to Make way for the HS2 Railway

I have taken a few photos for my archive

hope the nearby white tower pub is safe

lyn

The pub is still there and as it is on the other side of the road it should be all right, but have said that it is not looking at its best I did take a few photos of the pub my one thought was will this pub be here in a few years?

hope the nearby white tower pub is safe

lyn

my thoughts as well horsencart...this is a pub i have been meaning to visit for a few years but never go round to doing it...thanks for the update

lyn

The contract has still be let for the main construction work. What is being done is preparing the route for that event. Hence the closures at Euston and the exhumation of the bodies in the graves at the former church yard near Curzon Street.

The student accommodation at Curzon Street was built, at least in part, I believe on what was railway land. There were some sidings there used as a cement terminal and in earlier times were storage sidings. The various parcels vans would be kept there. Some of these parcel vans were prewar. I recall seeing makers plates on these vehicles, some of which were ex GWR SIPHON then used to carry parcels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back