• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

High Speed Train 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike jenks

master brummie
Hi

Just seen the line proposal into Birmingham.
surprised at the link via Water Orton into Birmingham.
Its a complete new Track and Infrastructue build.
Intial proposal star around 2017 give or take the
planning objections.

Mike Jenks

Can I ask all my forum friends to please sign the petition to stop the HS2 passing through our lovely village. :redface:

Please, sign the petition and ask your friends and relatives to do the same as this railway line will destroy the local countryside and villages of Drayton Bassett, Middleton, Hints, Hopwas, Whittington and many, many more rural parishes. :cry:

YOUR COUNTRYSIDE NEEDS YOU !!!!!!!

https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/stop-hs2/signatures.html

Regards

Mabz

Hi Mabz
Have signed the petition but am cognizant of the futility of this if the powers that be make this the prefered route. We have seen this so many times in the construction of motorways and airports. Areas of N Kent were decimated when the London-channel tunnel link was constructed as was Wrotham Hill when the M26 was built. There was huge, and very influental public protest, alas ignored. Now if the Prime Ministers residence was facing this threat..well the question doesn't need to be asked does it?
Whatever the moral implications, the future of the UKs prosperity depends on fast transport links, the Goverment will take scant notice of the environmental implications on the basis "For the greater good".
One reason why I admire the wonderful French so much is why the apathetic British politely talk amongst themselves and sign petitions the French are out there bringing the country to a standstill.

Not only the countryside Mabz.
The people who live in the last houses on the boundary Chelmsley wood/Coleshill already have the M42 link Road,the M6,and the Northern relief road.
Now they are due to have a portion of their road taken away and the high speed rail link a few metres away from the front of their homes.

Thanks to everyone that has signed the petition. :)

May I ask each and everyone of you to please take up the fight against the HS2 and encourage your friends and relatives to support this worthy fight too.......

Mabz

I'm glad you brought this to my attention, Drayton Basett was my son's first school, and we often go back there to visit the working man's club, my son brings his cue over from the states just to catch up with friends and play billiards with them.
Can I ask all my forum friends to please sign the petition to stop the HS2 passing through our lovely village. :redface:

Please, sign the petition and ask your friends and relatives to do the same as this railway line will destroy the local countryside and villages of Drayton Bassett, Middleton, Hints, Hopwas, Whittington and many, many more rural parishes. :cry:

YOUR COUNTRYSIDE NEEDS YOU !!!!!!!

https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/stop-hs2/signatures.html

Regards

Mabz

I've just had a quick scan of the report at:- https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/stop-hs2.html - "up to 40 trains per hour (1 per 90 seconds), a quarter of a mile long, going past at 250mph". Who do they think will be using these trains that they need '1 every 1.5 minutes? Where are they coming from and where are they going? I must admit I haven't taken in the full report, because it makes me so mad. My first thought was, bring back the trains, but, apparently they're not satisfied with people arriving every half hour, they want people moving around every 1 and half minutes. Forgive me if I have the wrong impression but, I hate 'progress'.

I cant believe there will be up to 40 trains an hour.

Where did that figure come from?

Even if you halve it, for some trains going North and others going South. that is still 20 an hour in each direction.

There is no way 20 trains an hour will be going from say London to the Midlands.

I wonder if the people in these villages never use their nearby Motorways?

Looking at the map I am sure many people living in that area happily use the M42 nearby, or the M6 Toll, or the M6 itself.

I am sure many people in those villages happily get the train from Tamworth (or where ever) to Birmingham or other local cities.

And how many people in those villages walk along nearby canals, or go on canal holidays.

All of those things above were built over the last 200 years, and they alll went near people's houses.

I am sure many poeple lost their houses when the M42 or M6 was built, or lost the view, or lost their peace and quiet.

But I am afraid that is mans desire to get to places quicker and we are never going to stop that.

I've just had a quick scan of the report at:- https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/stop-hs2.html - "up to 40 trains per hour (1 per 90 seconds), a quarter of a mile long, going past at 250mph". Who do they think will be using these trains that they need '1 every 1.5 minutes? Where are they coming from and where are they going? I must admit I haven't taken in the full report, because it makes me so mad. My first thought was, bring back the trains, but, apparently they're not satisfied with people arriving every half hour, they want people moving around every 1 and half minutes. Forgive me if I have the wrong impression but, I hate 'progress'.

I haven't read the petiton summary but think the stated facts have little substance in reality. One train, passing every 90 seconds at 250mph would give no safety margin if there were a breakdown or other incident with catastrophic results.
Aye, few like progress but consider if there wasnt such a thing we would still be living in caves cooking our meat over an open fire and picking our teeth with stone clubs. And there certainly wouldn't be an internet.:D

Hi Guibert53

Your post demonstrates exemplary logic. The old saying "anywhere, but not in my back yard" comes to mind. I have enormous sympathy with those living in idyllic villages and the impact any proposed route will have on both the environment and folk living there but progress happens.

done Keith and have put it on face book too. Drove through the place today and it would be a crime to spoil the landscape. Jean.

I realy cant see how cutting the journy time from Birmingham to London by 40 minuets (weather permiting) will be the great economic saviour. With city centres getting more conjested year after year any time saved by blighting the lives of so many communities will be swallowed up by the trip from the station to your destination. We need a new plan for All transport, not just bits here and there.

Hello Everyone
What are your thoughts about this high speed rail link and the route it takes.
Best wishes
Gerald...Garden Gerald.

I could be wrong (not unusual) but I think the cost of travelling on it will be out of the price range of most people. I think the 32 billion pound cost ( which will surely rise) could be put to better use. That is my opinion, others may disagree. I never travel by train so it will not effect me. Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back