• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

High Park street Nechells

philbee

birmingham born and bred
Evening all

Its along time since i have posted but i am back and i am after any info on my favourite street HighPark street i have included two attachments of said street what i would like to know would anyone have a detailed map that includes house numbers so that i could pin point where my Birch family lived house numbers i have are 64, 3bk7 and 4bk7 High Park street also when was LH Newtons factory built as you can see from the map there was houses on the site in 1902 would the houses have been on the site?
I thank you in advance for any info that you knowledgeable sages could give me.

Phil IMG_20150319_192933.jpg Newtons high park street nechells.jpg

Below is a map showing High Park St c1889. Numbering is given, and 64 marked in green, 3 back 7 in red, and 4 back 7 in blue. Newtrons first appear in Kellys directories between 19333 and 1936, though in a much smaller factory which seems to be between nos 7 & 11

map_c_1889_High_Park_St.jpg

Mike

Thank you for prompt reply i am a bit puzzled by the year 1965 that can't be when newtons was built because i remember as a child newtons being there in the 50s and i started work there in 63/64 i know that you have not stated that was when it was built but it is intrigueing that there is no mention in the trade directories before then. Where do you get your maps and info from?

Thanks again Phil

Correction
I do apologise. i was looking at high Park road for the earlier ones! (It was rather early in the morning when I wrote it) . In fact Newtons first appear in the directory between 1933 and 1936, though before WW2 they appear to just be in a small factory which seems to be in the yard between nos 7 & 11 I have corrected my original post to avoid any later confusion

The map is from the old maps site. The map for c 1950 shows some numbering but not all as many houses have gone, and I thought you might be interested in earlier years with the other houses so I transferred numbering.

Hi,

I know this thread was some many years ago now, but came across this today while looking for info of when my Grandad lived in High Park Street.
The address on the 1939 record is 1/20
Can any one help with what house number this is on the map posted?

Many thanks

Russ

I have marked what must be no 20 in purple on the map. 1/20 must be the building behind in black.
map_c_1889_High_Park_StA.jpg

Brilliant, thank you very much.

Are there many photo of High Park Street around, I only found one online from 1966.
My uncle remember there being a sweet shop on the street when he was young

Other than the one on this thread I only know of one of the back of a house in the street

Shame, would have been nice to have found some more to try and pin point the house my grandad grew up in.

This is the one I found just for people to have if ever they are looking

Attachments

• Harrison - Nechells High Park Street 1966 .jpg
    Harrison - Nechells High Park Street 1966 .jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 15
Sorry. there are two others. not sure why they did not turn up first in my search
High%20Park%20St%20Cour%26%23.jpgHigh+Park+St.jpg

It would have been useful if the houses had nunbers on them back in them days for the piuctures :)

Oh wow, thank you. I wonder if that was the sweet shop my uncle was talking about

Hi Mohawk,
I dont suppose you have an aerial view of High Park Street circa 1930 as well do you?
Cheers
Russ
There is this view dated 1934 taken on a late sunny afternoon so shadows are quite dark. High Park St can be seen from its oblique junction with Railway Terrace (bottom centre) but not the full length to Thimblemill Lane. St Josephs Church is in the view centre right.
St Josephs2.jpg
image source 'britainfromabove' website

Fantastic, Thabks MoHawk.

You see the houses back from High Park Street, like they are in the back gardens of the two Rows of houses. Do you think they were the house they called "Back of Number 20"

I'll have a look but I'm not very knowlegeable on the area. There may be other members who know a lot more about it from maps and the aerial view.
oldmohawk ... :)

It's not easy to work out but I don't think so.

On the 1951 map, half of the houses on the far side of the street have disappeared. The last house left is number 7 which appears to be the one to the right of the single story building with the bright roof.

Trying to count doors would seem to put number 20 towards the end of the row of houses to the left of the larger one and opposite the school. There are appear to be some buildings behind and the right of the chimney, not sure if they're houses (pink Line).

High Park St.jpg

Another option is that, that row of houses are back to backs though they look quite small and the map doesn't seem to show them as such.

In favour of 20 being in that row of houses however is that on the 1939 register the numbers go up to 22 and then jump to 42 which is the first house on the near side of the street.

I do recall it mentioned that my grandad lived in a back to back house, and I must admit when I read in various census and docume that it was "at the back of 20" I was thinking it was in the back garden of 20. But it's likely you are right that it was the back part of house 20.

But that garden is very long for a slum house, I wonder who had the garden, the back or the front!

Maybe it was shared or maybe it belonged to neither. However, I assume it would have contained outside toilets and washing facilities.

we had a bb house with a garden about 6ftx 8ft at the front in cattells grove. i have marked the outside loo in blue the house in red:grinning:
High Park St.jpg

Back