• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

High Park Street, Nechells

Looking at the listings for High Park Street in the 1871, 1891 & 1901 censuses the last house listed on the west side of the street was No. 24 which in 1892 was a coal dealer. This would suggest No. 22 was the last in the row of terraced houses (they don't appear to be back to back houses).

Attachments

• high-park-st-map-1889.jpg
    high-park-st-map-1889.jpg
    888 KB · Views: 6
Hi Claire,
Was interesting to see you post about number 22 High Park, as my family ended up there as well (sometime around 1910 / 1920), and that address appears on a number of my familys marriage certs.
The houses were back to back, so there was likely two families living at number 22.
One thing I have noticed is families seemed to jump about the house numbers between census, not sure why that is.

There are some photos of High Park Street on here, I will try and find them if no ones gets there before me

I couldnt find a census for 1871 for some reason, but William and Elizabeth Cook must have moved on by 1881 as there are not shown in High Park Street.

In 1881, there is a family at Nunber 20: Henry Cook (72), Mary Cook (66), Samuel Cook (29), Ann Cook (45), John Cook (36), Henry Cook (9), Victor Cook (2) and Lilly Cook (2).

In 1891, its possible Henry and Mary had passed, and some of the family had moved on, as Number 20 has the following living there: John Cook (46), Hannah Cook (49), Henry Cook (19), Victor Cook (11) and Lilly Cook (11)

By 1901, the only cooks in the steet are,
Back of No 7: Samuel Cook (26), Annie Cook (23), Samuel Cook (3) and Harry Cook (9 months)
Swans Buildings, High Park Street: John Cook (20) and Emily Cook (19)
That’s so interesting. Golly that’s a lot of Cooks! I wonder if they were all related to my ancestors?

My Great Great Grandmother and Grandfarther were still in Number 22 in 1939, and my Great Grandmother was still at number 51 in 1965.
Im not sure when they got demolished, but they were demolished to build what is now WingYip!! (A large Chinese Food supplier)
Ah okay, thank you.The stories these houses could have told!

Looking at the listings for High Park Street in the 1871, 1891 & 1901 censuses the last house listed on the west side of the street was No. 24 which in 1892 was a coal dealer. This would suggest No. 22 was the last in the row of terraced houses (they don't appear to be back to back houses).
Ah not back to backs? That’s interesting, thank you.

I forgot to attach the map last night. I have coloured some back to back houses on Thimble Mill Lane, this was the typical layout for these.

Attachments

• high-park-st-map-1889.jpg
    high-park-st-map-1889.jpg
    891 KB · Views: 5
Back