• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hidson rd/ Woolmore rd Erdington date built

sandra

master brummie
Hi everyone,
I wonder if anyone can help please.
Trying to find when the houses in Hidson Rd / Woolmore Rd / Hesketh Crescent were built.
Or do you know where I can find out. We think it was 1935/6
Is it true the roads were named after the first people that purchased the house on a new estate.
Sandra

Hi Sandra: The houses in Hidson Road were built in 1935. The Woolmore Road, Hesketh Crescent houses were built about that time. Regarding the street names I really don't know the background of those names. Our family home in Hidson Road is still owned by my brother and myself. My parents chose the plan for their house in late 1934 and moved into it in 1935. Much of the sand used in the mortar for these houses came from the Sandpits adjoining Witton Lakes Park. They were filled in and built over in the l960's.

Hi Jennyann,
Thank you so much for the information it has been very helpful. We live in Hidson Rd . and have just found out that my husbands grandfather and uncle and dad helped build our house We found out this as I was doing the family tree, but with your help we have managed to find out the year. So thanks once again.
Sorry I haven't replied earlier internet crashed.
Sandra

Hi Mrs. T. Nice to know you are walking round my "old" area. I always considered myself lucky growing up around the Witton Lakes area and also the closeness of Brookvale Park. They were our playgrounds.

I wanted to add for Sandra some extra info on the houses in Hidson Road and Woolmore Roads. Most of the houses were leasehold with a 99 year lease. However, you could buy out the lease for total ownership. The leases on some of the houses were held by a company called Bulpitt and Sons of Birmingham. This company manufactured many well known household items in Birmingham. I am not sure how they became involved in the development of the land these houses were built on but it was probably an investment package for Bulpitt. My parents transferred their ownership from Leashold to Freehold under the terms of the Leasehold Reform Act in 1967. I seem to remember that the base cost of the houses and land at the time the houses were built was four hundred pounds. I know the houses did not have any add ons such as garages, verandas, walls in the front and slabs for the front gardens, etc You had to have a garage built if you wanted one and every house in Hidson Road had a space for one. In Woolmore Road this didn't happen as they built more houses per site. A laneway or gully as we called it was put through on Woolmore Road and later people built their garages at the end of their gardens with access via the gully.

Hi Jennyann,
Thank you so much for the extra information, I am trying to find out the names of the people that lived in our house, I can only find 3 families so far, it looks like the house was passed down to the sons or daughters according to our deeds. Families in those days stayed quite close to one another .
Thanks again
Sandra

Back