• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hickman family

pam1511

master brummie
I am tracing the hickman side of my family.My grandfather Alfred Hickman lived in pelham rd Alum Rock,his parents Alfred and Florence lived in Sladefield rd Alum Rock.Any further info would be appreciated.

Pam I have some Hickman's in my family tree - could be your family members?? If you want to contact me off the board I can tell what I have in information etc..

Alfred Hickman 1911 = MARRIED IREENE TITTLEY??
Elizabeth Hickman 1825
George Hickman 1902
Herbert Hickman 1876
Herbert Hickman 1900
Ivy Hickman 1911
John Hickman 1856
Leah Hickman 1899
Rosa Hickman 1903

Hickmans

Thanks Elizabeth The Hickmans I have in my family are Alfred born 1903 his father was also Alfred born1881 I think his father was John born1842 they lived in the Alum Rock area.

tracing Mann,Hickman,Trotter,Copestick,Wasley,Gould

There is a Colin Hickman who posts pictures on Virtual Brum. Many from the Alum Rock Washwood Heath area.

Last edited:
i am also looking for hickmans namely a john talbot hickman who had a daughter mary ann who married into the willmore family i believe another hickman also married into the willmores i do have more if anyone is interested but its not alot just some recollections from mary ann daughters

My maternal grandmother was Hilda Hickman (1915 - 1988), her parents were William (1889 - 1934) and Annie (nee Dolphin) (1887 - 1934). I have absolutely no info on his family, or any photos..... any help would be appreciated!

My maternal grandmother was Hilda Hickman (1915 - 1988), her parents were William (1889 - 1934) and Annie (nee Dolphin) (1887 - 1934). I have absolutely no info on his family, or any photos..... any help would be appreciated!

William is possibly the son of Thomas Hickman and Agnes Malin (spelling varies). They married in 1878.

She was previously married to Thomas Tuckey.

He had a number of brother and sisters. At least 8 and half siblings also.

William is possibly the son of Thomas Hickman and Agnes Malin (spelling varies). They married in 1878.

She was previously married to Thomas Tuckey.

He had a number of brother and sisters. At least 8 and half siblings also.
Thank you! A very useful start!

Pam , Alfred frank Hickman (b 1903 Aston), married Henriettta Louisa Wasley( b 1905 Stratford) in 1924
1930 their address is 3 Dover Place Parliament street
and 1935 has them at 74 Pelham Road.

Yes my mother Vera Hickman was born in Parliament street moved to Pelham road in the 30’s .Alfred died in 1938 from cancer .

I have completed the Hickman family tree will try and post it on here for you to view
My mother was descended from Ann Hickman (1826-1908) and I am trying to develop the Hickman familly connections. Would be interested in seeing the tree.

I am looking for more information on my grandmother Nancy or Annie Hickman 1895 -1975. Siblings = Alice, Mick, Agnes, Rhoda but who were their parents and what happened to them? I think father was Irish and perhaps mother died young?

In that case she's proving quite elusive. Not certain of anything before the marriage.

Was she born in England?

B. date12/06/1895 in Dudley, Worcs I think but as far as I aware, was brought up in B'ham. I don't know when she moved. She may have been the youngest child and she may have been in care of some sort.

I did find a possible born Dudley but of the siblings you mentioned there only appeared to be an Agnes & Alice and the father (William) wasn't Irish. The mother did die not long after Annie/Nancy's birth though.

Other siblings Philip John, William, Ernest, Arthur, Samuel & Elizabeth. No Michael or Rhoda.

Last edited:
Thank you - that's interesting. There was definitely a sister known as Rhoda. I had a photo soemwhere and I met her when I was a child -she looked just like my grandmother. However, I am not sure about the other siblings. What was her mother's name? Was Annie/Nancy put into care, do you know? I wonder what happened to her father?

The father of the family possibly died in 1905. Have you seen your nan's marriage certificate? Is the father listed as William?

The mother's name was Elizabeth Ruddle, she may have died in 1898 or 1899.

I'm not sure what happened to Annie/Nancy. If it's the correct one she's on the 1901 census but I haven't found her on the 1911 yet.

I can't see any likely birth for a Rhoda Hickman either but I'm not totally sure it's the right family. A little more corroboration needed first.

Ok, the Annie I found is in Brierley Hill in 1911 living with her brother (Ernest) and his family.

If you think she was brought up in Bham though, it doesn't fill me with confidence that this is the right Annie.

My late father reckoned that his maternal grandfather came from Cork but I can't find any trace so far. There is another William Henry Hickman but he's not the right one.

I haven't found a marriage or birth certificate yet. I don't think Nancy (Annie) had a brother called Ernest.

Her sister Rhoda married Robert George, Agnes married Will Kennard, Mick married Freda ?, Alice married Albert Gregory and my grandmother, as you correctly said, married Horace Henry Langley. I wonder if her parents names can be found on any of their birth or marriage cetificates? perhaps someone has access to one of these?

Ok, your new information now makes me think that I did have the correct Annie.

I can find a matching marriage for Agnes to a Robert William Kennard and Alice to a Thomas Gregory (had a son Albert).

Also on the 1939 registered Alice is living on Birch Drive, Enville St. Also living on Enville St are Ernest Hickman (who I thought Annie was with in 1911) and Arthur Hickman (his wife is called Freda).

Agnes, Alice, Ernest and Arthur all appear to be siblings of the Annie/Nancy Hickman I previously mentioned, the children of William Hickman (who was born London).

That's interesting, thank you. My father was convinced that Nancy's father came from Cork and he never mentioned an Ernest or Arthur. I met sister Rhoda too and she was older. I'll have another dig based on your info.

I can't find a marriage for a Robert George to any Hickman. Was George his surname or his middle name ?

George is the surname - lived in Saffron walden.
By the way, Nancy's mother came from Richmond, Yorks according to my father's notes. Does this fit with Elizabeth Ruddle? I can't track her down.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back