• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hickman family

Saffron Walden helps. It was Elizabeth Hickman that married Robert George. Couldn't see it previously because Elizabeth had been married previously to a Thomas W Moody.

Elizabeth would have been the second eldest of the daughters.

Not 100% of the mother's birthplace, will look.

Saffron Walden helps. It was Elizabeth Hickman that married Robert George. Couldn't see it previously because Elizabeth had been married previously to a Thomas W Moody.

Elizabeth would have been the second eldest of the daughters.

Not 100% of the mother's birthplace, will look.
Really.. Gosh - curiouser and curiouser!

I'd guess that she was born in Langley, Wiltshire. On her marriage to William Hickman (22 Feb 1873, Tewin, Hertfordshire) her father is listed as John.

1881 census lists her birth as Clapham, Wiltshire. The only Elizabeth Ruddle with father John on the 1861 census of the right age is a daughter of John & Alice (name of eldest daughter) born Langley which is in the Chippenham district.

Have established that Annie(Nancy) 's sister Elizabeth was known as Rhoda and her 1st husband (Th. Moody) was killed on the Somme.
Elizabeth Ruddle does seem to be their mother but another family tree I found suggests father's name is William David Hickman rather than the William Henry Hickman as we thought. Can you discover which is correct, I wonder?

Listed as William David Hickman on his marriage to Elizabeth Ruddle in 1873.

He appears to be the son of a Samuel Hickman and an Ann Griffin.

There is a birth registration listed for a William David Hickman but is for someone else, your William David Hickman is just registered as William, Jun qtr 1846 Pancras.

Last edited:
Sorry, alittle confused, it is probable that he is the William registered as William David Hickman. Mother Ann Shardlow not Griffin.

Last edited:
A bit more looking and I'm confident that your William David Hickman is the son of Samuel Hickman and Ann Shardlow.

Found him on the 1851 census - incorrectly listed as Hokman. They are living in Tottenham and William's birtplace is listed as such and that is also his birthplace on the 1881 census.

William's father, Samuel, was born 1815 in Tettenhall near Wolverhampton and his mother, Ann, was born 1818 in Sutton Coldfield.

So it was a bit of a return to the area for William.

Just a transcription or recording error. It is Hokman on findmypast and Hakman on Ancestry.

Samuel is listed as Hickman on his baptism, Hickman on his marriage and the family are listed as Hickman in 1861.

Hello!

My name is Gerald Schwarz and I am from Salzburg, Austria.

Since some time I am busy with the history of my family. One of my ancestors was a family named HICKMANN, and two of them were born in Birmingham. So I found coincidentally your forum. I hope you have some informations for me.

There are Jakob HICKMANN (the older one), born ~ 1758 in Birmingham, marriged with Anna Loldbyn or Lolsbyn (? it is hard to read) and his son, Jakob HICKMANN (the younger one), born ~ 1780 in Birmingham.

Between 1780 and 1808 they came to Vienna and they had there a factory for silver platinum.

Jakob HICKMANN (the younger one) marriged 1808 in vienna a lady from vienna. All persons died in Vienna. Their descendants lived in Austria.

Best greats from Salzburg!

Hi everyone! Sorry to jump on, late to the party lol.
I started doing my family tree back in the pandemic, and I stumbled across Thomas Hickman, the gaslight champion. He is my 6th great grandfather, I tried to research some more and found this thread and noticed a whole family of Hickmans!
However I can not get any further than Toms father, Richard Hickman, I’ve tried to research and it says Richards fsther is “Placeholder Hickman” is this correct?

Is that the Thomas Hickman who married Agnes in 1878 or a different Thomas?

As you go further back you'll eventually come to a point where things are not certain. Placeholder Hickman just sounds as if it's where someone will go if they are found.

Hello,

I'm researching the Hickmans too (mum's side of the family) and came across this site. The Hickmans are the shortest branch on my tree and I have a theory. I've met five generations of my Hickman family and there's always at least one dark-skinned male. In addition, the Hickman were a big showman family. I think there's a Romany connection, and members of the various Hickman branches wouldn't start to show on official records until they settled down and had a permanent address.

My maternal grandfather was William Edward Hickman, born late 1800's to early 1900's. Originally from either Streetly or Four Oaks. Married Lilian Clara Harvey around 1933 and lived in Great Barr. Any further details available?

William was born 25 Jan 1902, the son of William Henry Hickman and Florence Glew. Had 2 sister, Florence Helen b1898 d 1942, never married, and Daisy b & d 1904.

Last edited:
William was born 25 Jan 1901, the son of William Henry Hickman and Florence Glew.
Wow, quick reply. Very little known about his family as I believe he left home at 15 and enlisted in the army. Glew as a family name rings a distant bell!
William was born 25 Jan 1902, the son of William Henry Hickman and Florence Glew. Had 2 sister, Florence Helen b1898 d 1942, never married, and Daisy b & d 1904.
Amazing, never knew. My mothers middle name is Florence, now I know why. It was believed that my grandad "ran away" from home and never kept in touch with his family. Such a shame.

There might have have been some contact with his sister, as he was named on Florence's probate record in 1942.

My maternal grandfather was William Edward Hickman, born late 1800's to early 1900's. Originally from either Streetly or Four Oaks. Married Lilian Clara Harvey around 1933 and lived in Great Barr. Any further details available?
William Edward Hickmans born 1902, registered Aston - no 1939 Register record.

A William E Hickman married Lillian Clara Harvey 1934, Birmingham.

Hickman/Harvey children:

Margaret I Hickman born 1934, Birmingham, no record of marriage.

Catherine F Hickman born 1936, Birmingham, married 1954, Birmingham to Arthur E Probyn
Births to Probyn/Hickman: David E 1957, Birmingham, Catherine A 1961, Birmingham, Shirley E 1962, Birmingham, Jennifer M 1965, Birmingham.

Muriel F Hickman born 1943, Birmingham, married 1969, Birmingham to Robert J Hughes
Births to Hughes/Hickman: Bobby Frances 1969 Birmingham, Karen Hilda C 1971 Meriden, Simon Robert J 1972 Meriden, Jillian Billie-Jean 1976, Meriden

Rosemary A Hickman born 1945, Birmingham, may have married David S Curran in 1977 in Bristol.

Wow, quick reply. Very little known about his family as I believe he left home at 15 and enlisted in the army. Glew as a family name rings a distant bell!

Amazing, never knew. My mothers middle name is Florence, now I know why. It was believed that my grandad "ran away" from home and never kept in touch with his family. Such a shame.
His British Army Service Record (service number 326294) from 1919 shows his regiment, aged 16, as 'Royal Air Force'. His RAF record shows him in the RAF in January 1919, aged 16. His 16th birthday was only in December 1918, so running away age 15 sounds about right.
are you the David E Probyn I found? Are you Ok finding your nephews & nieces (freebmd.org.uk)?

His British Army Service Record (service number 326294) from 1919 shows his regiment, aged 16, as 'Royal Air Force'. His RAF record shows him in the RAF in January 1919, aged 16. His 16th birthday was only in December 1918, so running away age 15 sounds about right.
are you the David E Probyn I found? Are you Ok finding your nephews & nieces (freebmd.org.uk)?
Interesting, info there I never knew. RAF is a surprise as I understand grandad served some time in India and was always referred to as in the army. 44 Rockford Rd was a new build purchase where Lillian & William lived for the rest of their lives and I lived there until I was 4. I am indeed David Probyn, know of and am in contact with my Hughes cousins (except Bobby Francis of whom I have no knowledge or recollection). Sadly my dad, Robert & Muriel Hughes are no longer with us and mom's memory of the past is hazy at best. Happy to receive any further info that can be obtained. As I said, this is interesting, you know where to look far better than I do. Thank you.

Interesting, info there I never knew. RAF is a surprise as I understand grandad served some time in India and was always referred to as in the army. 44 Rockford Rd was a new build purchase where Lillian & William lived for the rest of their lives and I lived there until I was 4. I am indeed David Probyn, know of and am in contact with my Hughes cousins (except Bobby Francis of whom I have no knowledge or recollection). Sadly my dad, Robert & Muriel Hughes are no longer with us and mom's memory of the past is hazy at best. Happy to receive any further info that can be obtained. As I said, this is interesting, you know where to look far better than I do. Thank you.
I don't think your search will help anyone else in this community. Do you want to correspond privately - [email protected]

I've found a Bobby F Hughes on the electoral register from 2009 to 2017 giving an age range of 45-49 (Bobby would have been 40-48). This might be him, living with Jaya Hughes, address (6 years old) 70 Waddington Avenue B43 5JG.

Regarding the RAF, it was set up on 1 April 1918 on the basis that it might only be temporary for the remainder of WW1. It took the government 9 months to decide to make it permanent. As I understand it, those who wanted to join after WW1 ended and before early January 1919 were allocated to an Army 'RAF Regiment' just in case the RAF as a separate service was disbanded.

Back