• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

HEWITTS GROCERY STORE BUT WHEREIN ASTON???

A

angie

Please can anyone remember Hewitts grocery shop?? was it on Potters Hill or Summer Lane??
My grandmother Eva and husband Richard Hewitt ran the shop in late 30s /40s does anyone out there have a list of shops and thir occupants at all.
Would love to know where exactly the shop was.

Cheers Angie :-\

My Mother and Father in law lived opposite a grocery shop in potter hill.....it was owned and run by the Jones.....but prior to that a young couple run it, but they cant recall the name :(

Hi Subee

Are you sure the shop was run by the Hewitts?? :-\ :-\ :-\

Not at all Angie............My husbands fathers family lived in the area and I checked with him last night and he DOES recall the grocery shop in potters Hill, but he doesnt recall it being owned by the Hewitts....so I thought it may be useful as a matter of elimination?

Ive looked at Kellys for 1936, didnt find reference with either Potters Hill or Summer lane. I also looked at Private residents and didnt find any entry for Richard or Eva. Is there no other evidence we can use as an aid to helping you track them down? Ill look thorough later Kelly's once Ive got a bit more time later today. You never know?

Suebee and Rod
Thanks for having a look for me,and sorry i cant be more possitive about the street name and if the Hewitts actually owned or rented the shop.
All i know is they had a grocers in Aston in the late 3os/40s.

Angie :-*

Hi Bob

Thanks for looking
The shop could have been in her name,her correct name was Henrietta but was called Eva most of her life and her maiden name was Hevingham if thats any help.
I do know for definate that Richard worked in a factory and he lost a finger at the factory,so they ended up either renting or buying the buisiness with his compo.

Cheers Angie O0

Hi Bob

Not sure :-\ i will ask mom later,but its not likely to be them!! fingers crossed.

Angie

In the late 1950's early 60's there was a greengrocery family business on the corner of Dyas Road and Old Oscott Lane (Kingstanding/Great Barr.) Maybe the same family?? E.

Hello Eric

I would say no,because nan was living in Kings Heath with somone else by this time.

Thanks for looking :'(

For what it's worth. I looked in the 1940 directory, and the only grocer by the name of Hewitt was in Woodwells Road, off the Tyburn Road at Erdington. That was Miss Doris Hewtitt.
Peter

Back