• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hetty Haynes (Haines) Greengrocer Erdington

horsencart

master brummie
Many years ago in Erdington the was a Greengrocers called Hetty Haynes they had a shop in Court Lane, what they would do is use a second-hand single deck Bedford bus stock it out with food stuffs (they usual stuff that you would find in a shop ) they would then drive around Erdington normally sounding the horn to let you know that they were in the street and sell the goods from the former bus,

They did this for many years coming around at least once a week, all the seats had been taken out and replaced with counters along the length of the bus, does any one have more information about the bus they used this is a view of the Haynes yard in Anderson Road Erdington

Edit. Photo no longer available. I allway have thought that the bus was ex military ?

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband knew the Haynes' he used to go fishing with her brother Norman - Kenneth lived in the new bungalow they had built on Court Lane

Used to shop on that bus, they had everything, would even gut a fresh chicken for you. If i remember it was air force blue so maybe it was ex - RAF, they used to pack so much on there the rear springs had to be changed quite often, this would have been around the mid sixties.

bren

Wow, I remember Haynes well - my nan and grandad lived on Anderson Road and used to shop with them. I can well remember the Bedford bus's being in the back yard but couldn't say for sure that I ever saw one out on the road. This would have been during the early - mid 70's

I too also remember the ‘Haynes’ bus; at first they came around in what seem to be like an old Davenports beer lorry, closed back, open sides. Norman Haynes had a distinctive shout as he pulled up in the lorry to alert the households.

I was out there one day getting some veg for my mom when the heavens opened up and it poured down. The Haynes’s let me sit in the cab withthem, but it did not have a passenger window, so they held an old cardboard egg tray across it to stop the rain gettingin.

The coach came later, I don’t think the paint was the original colour, it looked like a quick splash it on job to me. Ill ask my elder brother later what the make and model was, he seems to have a good memory for that.

I can remember he used to blast the horn of the bus as he pulled into our grove.

This is a photo of the wedding of my parents neighbor Cynthia Hodges to Harold Haynes. I am the little bridesmaid far right. The wedding was in 1960 so I would have been seven. I believe Harold was a member of the Haynes grocery family. Sadly I don't have any family around to confirm this.
I wonder if anyone recognises the church doorway?

Cynthia_and_Harold.jpg

Wendy, I would guess it could be Erdington parish church,but it has been a long time since I stood there and these churches do seem tohave similar doors.

I did think that as well Morturn but I have no idea as I was only 7. I know Cynthia lived in Great Barr but no other info. The couple were also my sisters god parents. I remember talking to an elderly chap some years ago who worked for Haynes grocers. He told me he wanted a Saturday off for a family wedding and was refused as the son of the Haynes family was getting married. I often wondered if this was the same wedding in which I was a bridesmaid! The man who lived next door to us worked for Agfa and took this photo of me in colour!

Wendy_bridesmaid_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a smashing picture of your there, do you know where it was taken? I love family pictures, in fact I have been working today scanning my old family photos. I am a reasonably accomplished photographer, but you cannot beat the good old family snap shot. Some of these old photos are just bursting with energy; people and their pasts. What I am working on is a collaborative project with a set of old photographs that I will get a group of relations to look at them on line, make comments, identify people, dates and places so it builds up a rich and useable past. Will tell you more when I get further on with it.

Great picture Wendy. It is taken at the side door of St. Barnabas Church, Erdington. That's where most of the wedding photos were taken at
the church over the years. I am so up in years that I can remember a photographer who regularly used an old fashioned camera kit along with
glass slides and a black cloth over his head when shooting...Watch the birdie!
erdington.jpg

I recon we have nailed that one, I think they are standing outside the side door to the left, well spotted Jennyann

That's brilliant Jenny I always wondered where the marriage was I can now add the place to the photo. I can only vaguely remember the day. I now have to find out if Harold was part of the Haynes family.

Morturn the colour photo was taken in our garden in Blackberry Lane, Four Oaks. The man next door was a sales rep for Agfa and he took the photo. What a wonderful project you are undertaking. I also have scanned many negatives and slides. The photo of me was actually a slide which I scanned.

Replying to part of the original post I am certain that this saloon bus was a Bedford built to military specifications: particularly the Air Ministry. RAF blue was mentioned which could confirm this as an ex RAF vehicle. They were common in the RAF during the 1950's and 60's.

Incidentally the RAF also had some ex BOAC type coaches: the type with an rear upper deck above the rear baggage compartment. They were RAF blue and registered with RAF plates. I had reason to travel on them when based in Great Malvern.

Does anyone remember the Haynes greengrocers with there vans or Hetty Haynes with her shop. I have been searching for any photos but as to yet have not found any information.

Hi Susie60, welcome to the forum. I remember the vans well, but have never seen a photo as yet

There is this thread.
and this
and there is mention in the Then & Now tread.

I remember there green petrol Austin trucks,they parked them of a night.at the back of there shop in washwood heath rd

Last edited:
Ted Haynes's shop at Lea Village.Used to buy 1d speck Apple for my after school dinner treat in the 50s

Shall move posts to the thread identified by Radiorails. Thanks Alan. Viv.

Edit. Threads now merged.

Replying to part of the original post I am certain that this saloon bus was a Bedford built to military specifications: particularly the Air Ministry. RAF blue was mentioned which could confirm this as an ex RAF vehicle. They were common in the RAF during the 1950's and 60's.

Incidentally the RAF also had some ex BOAC type coaches: the type with an rear upper deck above the rear baggage compartment. They were RAF blue and registered with RAF plates. I had reason to travel on them when based in Great Malvern.

Here's a restored one, and a model of it in 1:76 scale: commer-commando-crew-bus-raf-1947.jpgXAT 368  model.jpg

Back