• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Heritage Day

Charlie

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Went to a couple of the places open for Heritage Weekend yesterday (didn't get back from hols 'til Saturday night).
Birmingham Synagogue : an interesting building and an informative tour, wonderful stained glass. Sadly, the congregation (like C of E) has diminished over the years, they now only have some 2,000 members.
Hardmans : Makers of Stained Glass situated in the Georgian building in Lightwoods Park. A wonderful building - thank goodness it didn't go the way of the equally lovely building that was in Handsworth Park. Seeing how the stained glass was formed and painted was really good. They have such talented people working there, and the Company keeps the building from being wrecked by vandals or just left to decay.
Newmans in Fleet Street : Makers of coffin furniture. A brilliant Grade II* Listed Building that was 'left as it was' in the same way that the Jewellery Museum was abandoned by Smith and Pepper. All the heavy stamping machinery is still in situ, some of the smaller stampings, coffin handles etc have been removed, catalogued and put into storage. They intend to open it as a museum but it will take some time to sort out - work has to be done in protective clothing because of asbestos dust, ....nic and other nasties on site. I didn't realise that they also made the shrouds and coffin linings. It was owned, and ruled with a rod of iron, by a Miss Green, who is still alive but in poor health. Unbelievably, looking at the condition of the building and the facilities there, production was still ongoing until 1997. Don't know how they got round Health and Safety! A brilliant informative tour. In order to fund the museum, they plan to let the upper floors out as offices - but, being Grade II* I hope that English Heritage make sure it's done sympathetically.
Sorry (cringe cringe) I forgot to take my camera!!!!!!

Charlie, I am so glad you had a good time, your discription was excellent and I can imagine how wonderful it was to see Newman's. I would love to have gone but family commitments took presidents. I went to Key Hill on Saturday which was nice. I don't think it was supported as well as previous years but they all worked hard. So did I. I took some water and cleaner and had a go at the family headstone! Till our next trip.........

We came to Brum last year for a Heritage Day and had a good time, but were to too busy this year, as we're off to Germany tomorrow. I was very interested to read about the synagogue. There are some excellent pics on their web site and some excellent historical stuff about the congregation too. The building is a real heritage classic, by Yeoville Thomason, who built the Council House many years later. He was a very inventive architect, and the spaces are quite wonderful (from the pics, anyway). I would have loved to go in there, but it's not normally open, and when I went past last year there was a copper standing outside, furtively keeping watch over it, to 'protect' it from any possible nutters.
Why can't people respect other people's views and beliefs?
Peter

Back