• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hercules Cycles

Certainly this c 1950 map shows there was a bicycle factory at Salford st, with school in distance at the correct position
map c1950 showing manor mills and salford st.jpg

Attachments

• map c1950 showing manor mills and salford st.jpg
    map c1950 showing manor mills and salford st.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 3
Hercules certainly had factories at Manor Mills and Rocky Lane in 1942 according to this:

Attachments

• ManorMills.jpg
    ManorMills.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 5
Hercules Cycles, Rocky Lane was my first job on leaving school in July 1944, so they were certainly there during the war. I worked in the despatch department and the cycles were exported all over the world. Eric

That map in post #64 as got me confused, I worked at Hercules for a year in 1944 and caught the 3x tram to Aston Cross and walked a few yards down Rocky Lane to the entrance, no where near Long Acre/Salford Street ????. That Manor Mills bicycles is not Hercules Cycles. Eric

Last edited:
mwOnjm, Sorry, I stand corrected, I used to look after their telephone system in the 50's/60's during my time as a PO Engineer and I thought it was in Greet on or near the Warwick Rd. Put it down to age, it was over 60 years ago. Eric

Dawes and many other bicycle manufacturers are mentioned here:

Lyn, re your post #59. That is not Hercules Cycles, Hercules Cycles was top of Rocky Lane. See my post#70. Eric

Back