• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Herbert Road Small Heath

This book might be of interest for those researching Herbert Road. Haven't personally read it so can't comment on content etc. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 26
hi mike is there any chance you could post a map highlighting where the royal sewing machine works was in herbert road please...thanks mike

royal sewing mach works herbert st small heath.jpg

Here it is with the buildings marked in red on map c1890. Don't know why the factory seems to be a few buildings built a round a large open space.

map c 1890 showing royal Sewing machine works, Herbert road.jpg

thats great mike thanks..if you look at the old pic i posted the buildings do appear to have been built with a large space in the middle..

cheers mike

lyn

The large space appears to contain chimneys and stacked metal. Was this space used, then, for receiving raw materials, melting down the metal to make the sewing machine parts?

The company was formed in 1868 by Shakespear and Illistone. The 'Shakespear' was one of the many machines they produced. The map also mentions 'Bicycle' so they must have diversified. Viv.

View attachment 88031Regents Park Road looking from Coventry Road the pub at the end of the picture is on the corner of Herbert Road the Regent Inn
Thank you for posting this photo. My widowed gt-gt-grandmother, Mary Ann Luckett, who was the innkeeper, died at the Regent Inn in 1886. It's great to see the neighbourhood where she lived, even though it was only for a short time.

Edit. A detailed discussion about the location of the unidentified pub below is now in this thread here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/where-is-was-this-ansell’s-pub.52661/

Further to my post #20, our new member, Toni Partridge, has kindly supplied me with a photograph of the off-licence at number 61 that was run by her late aunt, Emily Lewis, who was also the late widow of my cousin, John George Sheppard.

I mentioned in that post that John George was believed to have died in a road accident outside the Stonebridge Hotel, Meriden, of which he was the landlord until his death. However, evidence has since come to light that he died of pneumonia in Powick Emergency Hospital. My thanks to Toni for the photograph, which is reproduced below.

Maurice :cool:
61 Herbert Road Off-Licence.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hi maurice unless i have read your post wrong that looks more like a pub on a corner to me not an off licence as you said...here is map showing where the off licence was at no 61

lyn

herbert road showing no 61.jpg

Viv, Mike, Lyn,

If it is any help Emily Sheppard kept the off-licene at number 61 [?] from Circa 1941 until 1954. The number was given to me six years ago by her son, so possibly that may be wrong. Kellys anyone between those dates? Beyond that I have no further info. I no longer have contact with the son as this was some years ago.

Maurice :)

yes hopefully someone can look in kellys for emily sheppard maurice just to confirm the outdoor was at no 61...

lyn

The strange thing is that there is no pub name on that photo in post #31. Is it an off-licence that was once a pub?

Maurice :cool:

There was once a sign high up on the wall to the right of the lamp. And there is a sign “Bar” written in the glass door beneath the lamp. So it definitely was at one time a pub. It does seem strange there’s no pub sign. And all the small windows are open on the ground level, so it was occupied at the time of the photo, and not vacant. Be useful to find out it’s address so we can get to the history. It certainly doesn’t seem to fit the footprint of building #61 Herbert Road marked on Lyn’s map in post #32. It has to be at a road junction if a bus is coming alongside the pub to the left, and I’d guess near a main road judging by the overhead wires/cables and supporting posts.

Viv.

Last edited:
Maurice
Checking in Kellys. In 1947 no 61 is occupied by Mrs Elsie Stubbs, and in 1949 by Leslie Stubbs. Emily is first mentioned in the 1950 edition (which would probably refer to 1949, and she is listed till 1955. I found this as I was searching in case she had another off licence before and that the photo might have been of that, but there seems no listing of her pre 1950 at all. I assume she did not marry Leslie Stubbs?

Back