• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Herbert Road Small Heath

Brock

master brummie
Hi All,

My great grandfather & family lived in Herbert Road in Small Heath from the late 1800's right the way through to the 1960's. I would dearly like to obtain some old pictures of Herbert Road so that I can see what the street looked like in order to learn more about my family.
If anyone can point me in the right direction please I would be very grateful.

Thank you,
Brock.

Hi Liz, yes, unforunately this was the wrong Herbert Road as you later spotted but I still loved to see the pictures. I had family who lived around the Selly Oak area so it brought back good memories for me.
Thank you,
Jan.

Hi Liz, yes, unforunately this was the wrong Herbert Road as you later spotted but I still loved to see the pictures. I had family who lived around the Selly Oak area so it brought back good memories for me.
Thank you,
Jan.
oh that's good,

Hi Brock

Here's one of the Junction of Herbert Rd and Coventry Rd, and another of St Aidan's Church which later was renamed All Saints and is about the only part of the Original Herbert Rd that is left.

Phil

Small Heath Coventry Rd - Herbert Rd.jpgSmall Heath All Saints .jpg

Last edited:
Hi just wondering if you found any old pic,s of Herbert rd . I lived there till the 60s at number 93 ,it used to be a sweet shop at 1st but mom closed it down when my dad died I have many happy memories of Herbert Rd and the folk,s that lived there .

Hi Cliffe, the only picture that I have ever been able to track down is one of the old building which was used by Bastock's funeral directors. I believe that it used to be where the coffins were made & where the stables for the horses which used to pull the old hearses were housed. Compulsory purchase orders saw the whole area being taken over for redevelopment in the 1970's. I have no idea what number Bastock's building was in Herbert Road or where it was positioned along the road. Herbert Road.jpg
Perhaps other site members might know of more pictures please?

Hi just wondering if you found any old pic,s of Herbert rd . I lived there till the 60s at number 93 ,it used to be a sweet shop at 1st but mom closed it down when my dad died I have many happy memories of Herbert Rd and the folk,s that lived there .

My great grandfather, Thomas Ward, moved to Herbert Road with his children around 1911 & he remained living in the road until his death having lived in a couple of different houses there. His unmarried daughter, Lily Ward, remained living there until her death in 1962 when she was aged 75 so you could well have seen her whilst you lived there Cliffe. She always wore a black eye patch having lost an eye in her younger years. There were tales told that she lost it whilst abroad working as a missionary when a burrowing insect ate her eye away but the truth was that she got kicked by a horse really.
As to Bastock's old property in Herbert Road ~ that was of interest to me cos my grandad used to go there as a young lad where he had got to know the stable hand & he used to help look after the horses & do the mucking out. He also used to help wash the old glass hearse carriage in readiness for funerals which earned him some pocket money.
I was just wondering ~ have you got any old pictures of the old sweet shop by any chance?

Parlliment Street junction of.jpgHer's one of Parliament Street taken from the junction of 217 Herbert Road Jenkins Street in the background originally posted by Bojalu

Berniew, you are a super star! Thank you so much for posting the old pictures showing Herbert Road. I love tracing my family tree & I like to see old pictures of where my ancestors used to live cos it makes me feel as though I know what they used to see around them & see what the area was like to know what their housing was like etc.
Thanks again!

Regents park Road 159 from coventry Road.jpgRegents Park Road looking from Coventry Road the pub at the end of the picture is on the corner of Herbert Road the Regent Inn

Brock have you seen this - maybe it is the glass hearse your grandfather used to clean? Also may be they could help you with pictures/information
https://www.cbastock.co.uk/history.htm

I believe that it is the very same one. Our family grave is in Yardley Cemetery where I tend the grave often & on many occasions I have seen a horse drawn glass hearse in use but it's not the time to ask questions to the funeral staff but I have often wondered how old that one is.
Although interested in the glass hearse I have to say that when I hear the clip clop sound of horses & see them wearing their black plumes pulling the carriage it always makes me shiver & feel quite creepy.

Nice to see this one revived recently, though I am totally unfamiliar with the area and there seems to be very little left of the original buildings.

The late Emily SHEPPARD (nee LEWIS) was the widow of my cousin, the late John George SHEPPARD, who for kept the Turks Head, Bloomsbury Street, for a number of years before the war and then took over the old Stonebridge Hotel at Meriden. When he was killed in a traffic accident outside the Stonebridge in 1941, Emily took over an off-licence at 61 Herbert Road and stayed there until 1954, when she moved to the Bristol area.

In what is probably a vain hope, I'll put out this request for any recollections or a photograph as the membership is constantly changing. Many thanks,

Maurice

Back