• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Henrys & Oasis store

My wife Sheila worked in the shoe dept at Henrys in union st 1964.I seem to remember Henrys as a single storey building at the bottom of Lower Bull St in the 50s.

I have no clear memories, but I associate Henry's with crockery. Wish I could remember Lewis's roof garden!

Oasis....! I bought several nice frocks from there, also a ring made of green glass. It was dark and , er, mysterious. Happy days!

Maria

Is this the stream you remember, no bridge though?

Attachments

• s Roof Garden.jpg
    s Roof Garden.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 36
Two photos here one of Henry's store in the corner of Martineau St and High St and the other later store next to the tax offices in Union Street. I think there was another store on the High Street before the one in the photo, but it might have been in a slightly different location.

Attachments

• City High St 1954 (2).JPG
    City High St 1954 (2).JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 222
  • City Union Street (2).jpg
    City Union Street (2).jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 225
It could be....I've got this (false?) memory of a tiny bridge.
It look terrifically dangerous!
Thank you,
maria.

It does look dangerous too, Maria. Just imagine being a motorist and having a swimsuited glamour girl plastered over your windscreen due to having taken a wrong turn up there!

Yes i remember Oasis it always smelt of burning insents :roll: I loved the clothes i used to like the indian stores cheesecloth shirts and blouses and embroidered tops, velvet trousers, Little coffee shops, record stores, people used to leave them unatended and very often you would have to wait ages for them to return imagine leaving anywhere now there would be nothing left when you came back :cry: Bangles and necklaces very much an Indian theme, lots of faded denim, yes it was definitely the place to be seen on a Saturday. It is such a pity that there are no photographs of such places to bring back happy memories, i looked for ages the other day for one of the Plaza in Handswoth as it was in the 60s but to no avail. :cry:

i loved oasis...the way out hippy clothes etc....its still there today and i think i am right in saying that the singer boy george once worked there..

lyn

hi I worked at Henrys for a few months in the staff canteen loved the shop didnt like the job, remember C/A LOVED that shop Acer

Yes shirley I remember all those I used to drink in the hole in the wall. I worked at Henrys in the staff canteen. Do you remember The West end dance hall I loved that place dancing round our bags and the squirt of perfume from in the toilet, my favourite was tweed Ha Ha jenny

Oasis - market or collection of shops ? Viv.

38E0085D-DB49-4F2A-ACAA-E9E2D16E4DE0.jpeg

Attachments

• 43874954-67C5-407A-8D9F-A8A47C8D7D89.jpeg
    43874954-67C5-407A-8D9F-A8A47C8D7D89.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 4
  • F11F2BDB-A7A2-4BA9-9EA5-5E21C80751D2.jpeg
    F11F2BDB-A7A2-4BA9-9EA5-5E21C80751D2.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 3
Yes shirley I remember all those I used to drink in the hole in the wall. I worked at Henrys in the staff canteen. Do you remember The West end dance hall I loved that place dancing round our bags and the squirt of perfume from in the toilet, my favourite was tweed Ha Ha jenny
HI Acer, Do you remember the Firemen who worked part time and a window Dresser named Maureen Broadhurst who worked at Henry's 1960 ish.

Hi

I remember going into Henry's basement with my girlfriend (now my wife of 55 years),
and we were mucking about with the cheap toys on display. I picked up a kiddies brightly
coloured rubber hammer, and gave her a whack on the head with it. It was really quite soft,
so I was quite surprised when it nearly knocked her cold.
She did forgive me in the end, - well, she married me!

Kind regards
Dave

Back