• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Henry Moore sculpture

clarke

Brummie babby
When I was a child I would catch the no. 14 bus into Birmingham and I seem to remember that there was a sculpture which I thought was in a strange place, the bus would go through Alum Rock and go under a railway bridge and just the other side of the bridge was the sculpture. Was it a Henry Moore? Is it still there? Does anyone remember it? Did I imagine it???

Clarke i know the statue you are thinking of it,s at the bottom of Melvina Rd opposite Nechells Green Community Center It,s still there but the trees have grown around it i didn,t know it was a Henry Moore i,m not sure of that. Dek

Clarke,if it was a Henry Moore it definitley wouldnt be there now.I think someone broke into the grounds of his home Buckinghamshire last year to steal one of his works.
Moss.

Dek

Thanks for that Dek I left Birmngham in 1974 and this morning there was a programme about Henry Moore on BBC radio 4 with his daughter talking about him and I rembered that sculpture and wondered if it was one of his, all I think I can remember about it was that it had a round hole in it.

Clarke i think mossg is right it would have been on the back of a lorry and long gone by now. It was placed there in the late 50s--early 60s when the Rd was opened. Dek

That it Chris it seems the same style as a Henry Moore but i am almost sure it,s stone or concrete. Dek

I remember this statue very well; I also used to see it from the bus from Alum Rock (not sure if it was the 14 or 28). Is the sculpture anywhere near its original site? Thanks for posting the pic, It really brought back some memories.

Pelham Yes exact position not moved an inch.The 55 and the 14 ran up Alum Rock The 56 went up Washwood Heath Dek

Thanks for those, Pom. She looks as if she could do with some TLC and having the greenery cut back a bit. Does anyone know who made her or what her story is?

Im pretty sure that when the sculpture was to be un-veiled, that quite a few of us pupils where taken from Loxton St, for the occasion. I may be totally wrong in this, but I do have a vague recollection of being there that day with my school. Hopefully there is someone out there that can say Im either right, or wrong. Also, I believe we where told it was by Henry Moore.

It's inspired by Henry Moore but is in fact a Harry Seager called 'Youth'. It's a modernist image of a young girl.

HI Guys
do any of you remember the foot ball coupons company called moores
many years ago before littlewoods coupons and the other surviving firm with moores was dear old copes,s
they are just about still going i think
i don,t think these foot ball coupons are still going now are they
does any body stillthe treble chance on the pools or is eerybody doing the lottery
best of luck for tonight guys and gals best wishes Astonian ;;;;;;;

Harry Seager from Stourbridge is primarily a Glass sculptor but does work in other mediums,this one in Melvina Road is in concrete.
The statue of the teeenage girl was unveiled in 1959.

Back