• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Henry Edward Hicks

MikeP

master brummie
I am search for information on HENRY EDWARD HICKS b. abt 1852 d. 1909 in Nechells. Henry Edward Hicks is my Great Grandfather he married an Alice Ames, they lived in Longacre then Stuart Street in Nechells. They had a number of children: Rosina, Henry Edward, Ellen Agnes (Nell), Walter, Fredrick, and Arthur that lived and possibly 3 others that died very young.

Henry is missing from the records prior to his marriage in 1873, with no birth record or confirmed census records before 1881 although I have his marriage certificate in 1873. However there is a census record in 1871 detailing a Henry Hicks, born in Middlesex, London of the right age and birth place according to other records. He is listed as being the ‘son in law’ (assumed adopted) to Henry Whitworth and a Hannah living in Aston.

Of his children, Rosina married an Ernest Halling and had three know children Ernest James, Rose and Albert. His son Henry Edward married Alice Gardener and had a Henry Edward and Frederick Laurence and possibly more. Ellen Agnus married Walter Owen and had one son Walter, Fredrick married Elizabeth May Brown and had Fredrick W, Ellen Rose, Nancy Helen.

Although all passed away now, most continued to live in the Birmingham area and I would like to make contact with anyone who may know these people or are descended from them, please get in touch

Thank you

Mike

Son in law, apart from husband of daughter, is usually used as son of wife I've found. So likely to be Hannah's son but not Henry Whitworth's.

Appears to be on the 1861 census as Harry Whitworth 'son' of Henry and Hannah.

Henry Whitworth's wife in 1851 is Kezia, who dies in 1860.

Son in law, apart from husband of daughter, is usually used as son of wife I've found. So likely to be Hannah's son but not Henry Whitworth's.
Thank you for your response MWS.

Yes I keep an open mind on it, there are 3 options, it is a modern meaning such as the husband of a daughter. An adoption or similar by Henry and/or Hannah, or as you say the son of Hannah but not Henry. The latter being my best guess and hope also.

However, unfortunately I have not found any marriage between the two yet and it looks like, as you say, that Henry was married to a Kezia previously with a son Harry, born in Birmingham. Whereas all the census records so Henry as being born in London, Paddington, Middlesex except one where it is recorded in Herefordshire, which is interesting as that his where Hannah was born. The whole thing is complicated I have spent years on it hence my appeal to others who may be around.

Appears to be on the 1861 census as Harry Whitworth 'son' of Henry and Hannah.

Henry Whitworth's wife in 1851 is Kezia, who dies in 1860.
Just to complete the picture, Henry detailed his father has Henry in his wedding cert., a bricklayer, where as Henry Whitworth was in engineering of some sort, the same sort of industry Henry ended up being in.

Back