• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Henley Street Sparkbrook

smithsquared

Brummie Once Removed
Hi everyone,
My father was born at 1 back 96 Henley Street in 1912, I have trawled through hundreds of images but cannot find any that cover this area, (it's virtually on the bend where it meets South Road). There was also a pub there called the Woodman Inn (2 South Street) where I believe my grandfather was a barman at the time of 1891 Census, anyone know of any photos of this pub?
Fingers crossed for some good news

Hi Smithsquared,

I've only just seen this thread, here is a photo of Henley St and also one of the Woodman. I'm almost certain I have put these on the forum before. Have you tried a search?

Phil

Sparkbrook Sampson Rd- Henley St 1964.JPG Sparkbrook South St Woodman.jpg

Coming to this late, sorry.
I have just found out that a relative had a sign writing business in Henley Street, just up from Stratford Road. Finding this information out reminded me that I used to see a sign - Vincent, Sign Writers - hanging from one of the walls as Mam and I went past on the 37 bus. If anyone could help I would be most grateful - this information came from a relative in New Zealand, amazing how small the world has become!!

In Kellys (Note, date refers to year before year of book, which is publication date)
No mention in 1904
1908-1923 Wilfred Vincent, signwriter, 261 Golden Hillock Road
1933-1940 Vincent & Son, signwriters, 261 Golden Hillock Road
1943-1947 Vincent & Son, signwriters 156 Stratford road
1949-1957 Vincent & Son, sign makers. 156 Stratford road
1958 W Vincent 156 Stratford Road Listed just as private address
1961 Vincent & Son, signwriters, 33 Henley St.
1962 -1972 Vincent & Son, signwriters,. 70 Stratford road .
Not mentioned 1973.
The electoral rolls list a Wilfred Vincent as being at 261 Golden Hillock Road from 1912 (details not on line before that) till 1939. Not in 1945
Wifred Joseph Vincent is at 261 from 1935 -1965 (later results not online, and not all years between 1912-65 online either)

wow! You two have blown me away! What a wonderful response.
Thank you mikejee - you really are a super moderator!
Thank you Radiorails, that is so very interesting. I don't know where you found that article but I am really grateful.
I shall say the usual thing - makes me wish I had taken more notice when me Mam was talking (reminiscing).
Thanks again

Back