• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Heneage Street

i lived in great brook street just round the corner fron henry street and asted row theres none of it left now what a pity

There are a few parts of Great Brook St Left, The Ashcroft Estate that they built on the site of the Barracks, the Co-op Workshops and The Dog & Partridge on what was Ashted Row still with the Ashted Row street nameplate on it's frontage.

three generations of my fathers family lived in the back to back houses in Heneage street Birmingham .. Dad has vivid memories of life there, and at age 93 remembers lots of names. one of them is a Mr Talbot their landlord. I would like to try and find out a little about this man. I.e did he own much of the property on the street. How do I go about finding out, or is it something lost in time. Thank you. kath

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: henaage street

I am not sure what date you are referring to. If it is early enough (up to 1913) the rates books might help. What was the surname of your Dad's family?

Janice

hi kath dont know if you have seen it yet but we do have a heneage st thread with photos of the street on it...i had ancestors there in 1841/51

all the best

lyn

I haven't found the answer to your original question yet but have found the family on the electoral roll - the 1911 census lists Azella Smith at 34 court 2 house Heneage Street - with her parents John Henry and Eliza. Also her siblings Joseph, Elsie May and John Henry.
Thomas is on the 1922 electoral roll with Eliza and Joseph Smith at 34 court 5 house Heneage Street . Then Thomas Cattell and Azella Smith are on the 1935 electoral roll at the same address with Joseph Smith. In 1945 Thomas and Azella are at 3 back of 227 Heneage Street.

In 1911 the owner of the court is listed as Alfred Leadbeater. I will investigate further. It did occur to me that Mr Talbot could have been the agent not the owner.

Janice

Following on from the above - there is an Alfred Leadbeater who was a city magistrate. He died in 1923 and left £64,724 so I would say he is a possibility. I am not sure where he got his money from.

Janice

There are a few parts of Great Brook St Left, The Ashcroft Estate that they built on the site of the Barracks, the Co-op Workshops and The Dog & Partridge on what was Ashted Row still with the Ashted Row street nameplate on it's frontage.

Thanks all. Superb photos of Heneage Street and the map detailing 181/2 Heneage Street. My Great grandfather Herbert Chester lived at 181 and 180 Heneage Street according to Kellys directory and 180 Heneage St from 1906 which was a retail shop & house with an annual rent of £14 according to the Rate Books. Note sure how much that is in today's money!

Welcome dwarfman. It's good to hear from people who have relations living in the many streets discussed on BHF. I hope you enjoy the forum.

And hopefully someone might be able to tell us how £14 tprelates to today's money! Viv.

In fact i just discovered Herbert Chester andwife/children lived at 5 London Terrace, Back of Willis Street in 1911 - Any help identfying this is appreciated as i can't find the location on Willis St. They then reappear at 2 Ashted Grove, behind 181 Heneage Street from 1920 to Herbert's death in 1931. His wife remained there until her death in 1940.
It is fascinating how small our world is. I made a good friend who later married my sister and his father's family also lived on Heneage St and he had a childhood memory of the Chester's running the shop, he recalled it as a fruit & veg shop so this would be in the 1930s. Any more information anyone can trace on the Chester family at these locations, a photo of the building itself (impossible i'm sure), and location of the other houses would be superb and my elderly parents just love this information as they were not aware of any of it until i started researching it all! Thanks all

If you look at the heading page before and after the entry page for your Herbert, you will see that stamped on it (despite what they wrote on the form) London Terrace is St James St. In fact it seems to be between 23 & 29 St James St. As can be seen from the c1889 map there was access to the terrace from Willis St, so they probably thought of it as being off Willis St. On the map london Terrace is in red, with no 5 marked 5

Attachments

• map c 1889 showing london terrace, St James St.jpg
    map c 1889 showing london terrace, St James St.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 68
Welcome dwarfman. It's good to hear from people who have relations living in the many streets discussed on BHF. I hope you enjoy the forum.

And hopefully someone might be able to tell us how £14 tprelates to today's money! Viv.

It equates to £1535.48!! :)

Thanks James.
Mike mentioned earlier in the thread that Ashted Grove is listed in Kellys up to at least 1950, but has gone by 1956

Hi all, Does anyone know which school children would/could have attended if living in certain streets;
62 Cato street in 1881 - (Herbert Chester aged 10, my great grandad)
181 Heneage street in 1901 - (Chester family)
5 London Terrace in 1911 - (Horace Chester aged 11, my grandad) ?

also, anyone know which house is number 62 Cato street on the streetmap please?

Regards
steve (hoping to resurrect my research now i'm retiring)

Back