• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Help with these roads & streets please!

Jonathan Blakeman

proper brummie kid
Could anybody help with the following streets and road names, some of which i can't locate on present day maps. These have been found on birth certs etc:

2 Church Grove, D'Audreus Road, Aston (circa 1899)

4 Leicester Place, Grace Road, Bordesley, Aston, B'ham (circa 1911)

6 Desborough Road, Yardley (circa 1951).

Also interested in information, photos etc of:

218 Heneage Street, Aston? Bordesley? (circa 1932-1939)

16 Newland Road, Small Heath (circa 1929)
13 Ada Road, Small Heath (circa 1929)

Robert Road (1891 - 1911)

Many thanks in advance!

Heneage St ran from Woodcock St -Gosta Green To Gt Francis St -Duddeston ,very little of the street remains. Dek

I don't know a Desborough Road but there is a Bessborough Roadthat runs parrall with Fieldhouse Road betweenCarcroft Road and Debenham Crescent Yardly Bernie

Grace road is still there betweeen Cartland rd and Montgomery St, though now it has been cut in half, leaving two ends. Attached is a 1903 map showing Leicester place in red.
There was a Church grove in St Andrews Road, between 191 and 193, but I am having trouble identifying exactly where it was.

leicester_place__grace_rd_c_1903.jpg

I was born in Newland Road, a 'U' shaped road off the Hobmoor Road end of Green Lane in 1961 and lived there until my early 20's. Back then the road was open both ends but now the 'bottom' end has been closed off. 'Our' side of the road was traditional terrace houses The houses on either end of the road the other side were also traditional terraces but the ones in the middle were 'unusual' houses in that although they were still terraced they were double fronted and only one room deep; 16 being an end of terrace at the 'top' of the road.

Grace road is still there betweeen Cartland rd and Montgomery St, though now it has been cut in half, leaving two ends. Attached is a 1903 map showing Leicester place in red.
There was a Church grove in St Andrews Road, between 191 and 193, but I am having trouble identifying exactly where it was.

Hi MikeJee,

Thanks for the map, thats a great find - where would i be able to get the full map from? Do you know what type of housing this would have been, terraced etc?

The first one wouldn't be Church Grove,St Andrews Rd, Aston, would it?

I suppose looking at it now it could be St Andrews but the writing is very unclear on the birth certificate of 1899.
Right so if this is, 2 Church Grove, St Andrews Road - does this still exist and does anybody know what type of housing this would be / would have been? Im not looking for any great detail, just the location and standard of living really.

View attachment 43959

Last edited:
Here is an 1890 OS map of maybe where Church Grove was to be. Off Church Hill Road right where the word School is. A short cul-de sac containing two fair size buildings. The first building may have been called Church Grove and may be the one still there next to the school. If you GE 'Church Grove Aston Birmingham UK; it will take you there. If you don't have Google Earth let me know and will post a satalite shot. Link below:
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10080&ox=3748&oy=1058&zm=1&czm=1&x=616&y=206

1890 Ordnance Survey...before Church Grove was built. I am not sure of this info but since Google Earth takes you there maybe it is OK. Or maybe GE is keying on Chuch Vale...the next road over, Perhaps a slightly later map might clear it up.

Sorry James Bessborough was only a guess because it sounds like Desborough and could have been a misprint .Bessborough Road is still there with the same housing as in the 50s Bernie

Hi,re Church Grove,St Andrews Rd,on the census info,it is classed as Deritend,Aston. In 1901,the Mills family lived at Number 2. Next on the enumerators list was Church Terrace,then 158 St Andrews Rd.

Back