• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help With Rellies Seamans Records

evening janice..unless i have the ages wrong i dont think its him...just noticed that there is also a sarah smith living there...edward did have a sister sarah ..on the 41 edward is 8 and sarah is 8 months

Morning Lynn. OK - sorry I must have got the dates wrong. It just goes to show that SMITH is not an easy one to search - I thought the Heanor might help.

yes janice its strange how on that 51 there is an edward and sarah smith both from heanor...to be honest i never thought i would be able to get so far back with my woods...amazing...writing all the info up neatly now before i get totally confused:D

Lyn.

I've got absolutely nowhere with the SMITHS, so decided to take a look at the next generation back of WOODS, but that is not a lot easier. I started with St Lawrence Heanor and found the following (I'll email you the image):-
26 March 1738 Thomas WOOD chr s/o Samuel & Sarah WOOD of Milhay (though Milhay doesn't seem to exist)
In looking for marriage of Samuel WOOD to Sarah I found a reference on familysearch to a Burial of Sarah Wood aged 72 on 8 October 1788 at Mellor, Derbyshire with a husband of Samuel WOOD, but no image or detail.
Assuming this to be correct, that would make her born circa 1716.
I then checked Nottinghamshire marriages as Heanor is equidistant from Derby and Nottingham and found this on FMP:-
17 November 1737 Marriage of Samuel WOOD & Sarah HAYWOOD at St Nicholas Nottingham, but no image.
I've looked for a birth of Sarah HAYWOOD without any success - maybe she wasn't from Nottingham and the marriage was by Licence. But that seems a reasonable start and a bit more successful than the SMITHs!

Maurice

Yes, Marriage by Licence - here's the Phillimore entry which is in the public domain on archive.org

Maurice

Attachments

• Samuel Wood 1737.jpg
    Samuel Wood 1737.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 3
Eastwait is apparently a poor transcription of Eastwood, about 5 miles north east of Nottingham. I have yet to find a baptism for Sarah. It's in the same Poor Law Union as Basford, which we have encountered before.

Maurice.

hello maurice...just taking all this in or trying to as its now going so far back its hard to comprehend it all...so are you thinking that samuel and sarah wood are my 6x gt grandparents and that samuel could have come from nottingham...the dates and ages of sarahs death and bapt of thomas seem to fit ok..

lyn

sorry maurice we posted at the same time...so samuel wood came from heanor ...its looking like he is my 6x gt grandfather...

That's right, Lyn. The only Sarah HEIWOOD baptism I can find is on familysearch in 1726 at Maplebeck which is up near Newark and too early, unless she was at least 6 years old when she got christened. Parents were John & Ruth HEIWOOD, but I doubt if there is that kind of info on those early entries.

Maurice

maurice so if we assume by her death age sarah was born 1716 chances are hubby samuel was about the same age...that is going back a staggering 300 years of family history for me:eek:...something i never thought possible..cant thank you enough for all the hard work..and thanks to janice as well...i am going to re write the woods line over the next few days..i still havent taken it in all in yet

lyn x

janice im still in shock...i am only on on ancestry and to be honest not had enough dealings with looking up parish records..i am now slowly learning though..

Lyn,

I'm back to 1610 on my LONGMORE line in Darlaston, but of course you get mainly bones and little flesh on the registers then, generally not even occupations. So you can't be 101% certain of your facts, which is why 19th century stuff gives me more pleasure. Reminds me of learning history at school - just a string of dates, unless you were nobility, of course!

Maurice

oh wow maurice that is fantastic...when i first started my family history i was chuffed just to find out who my gt grandad was lol....there is definately no nobility with my lot:D...my only claim to a bit of fame is i am related to the froggatts who from the beginning of the 1800s made leg irons...dog collars and handcuffs..the froggatts were great friends of harry houdini as they made leg irons/hancuffs etc for his escape acts..apart from that just a normal family of which i am very proud of

Last edited:
Much the same here, Lyn, Thomas & Arthur Longmore were naval ironwork manfacturers and makers of felons' irons at 12 Lower Tower Street.

Maurice

Attachments

• talongmoresmall.jpg
    talongmoresmall.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 4
thats a coinsidence maurice...very similar professions...tower st i know very well..not back that far of course lol

Needless to say I haven't got those handcuffs, but they are stamped T.A.LONGMORE - they're in the possession of an American collector friend who sent me the picture. He found my website and trade directory entries and asked if I was related, perhaps hoping to pick up some more!

Maurice

well its just nice to have a photo of them maurice..cant you tell him you want them back:D

Back