• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Help With Old Photos

mbenne

master brummie
My Dad was a keen photographer and also did quite a few digital photo repairs. After he died I tried to save as much of his material as possible - where it had family connections - but there were also a number of old photos which I was reluctant to dispose of - just in case they were of interest to someone else. There are at least 12 from the late 40s early 50s which are puzzling me. They are of a parade which was possibly held in Gloucester - one is recognizable as being taken at Gloucester Docks but what was the Parade in aid of? There is penciled note on the reverse of one of them that may help and one of them is stamped on the reverse 'Gloucester News'. They are all in good condition so he wasn't doing a repair job on them so they are a complete mystery to me. I'm sorry these don't relate to Birmingham but maybe someone can help?

Attachments

• P1.JPG
    P1.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 56
  • P3.JPG
    P3.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Note.JPG
    Note.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Ship.JPG
    Ship.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 57
My Dad was a keen photographer and also did quite a few digital photo repairs. After he died I tried to save as much of his material as possible - where it had family connections - but there were also a number of old photos which I was reluctant to dispose of - just in case they were of interest to someone else. There are at least 12 from the late 40s early 50s which are puzzling me. They are of a parade which was possibly held in Gloucester - one is recognizable as being taken at Gloucester Docks but what was the Parade in aid of? There is penciled note on the reverse of one of them that may help and one of them is stamped on the reverse 'Gloucester News'. They are all in good condition so he wasn't doing a repair job on them so they are a complete mystery to me. I'm sorry these don't relate to Birmingham but maybe someone can help?
The second photo P3 is outside Gloucester Guildhall although it is now a bank. Although this information does not help much. They may be of interest to an archive in Gloucester ... :)

Looking for clues I can't read the last word in the second line of the penciled note. Also I'm wondering what was the significance of the bands or sashes which only the officers are wearing. The film advertised in photo 2 was issued in 1936 but does not actually date the photos.

Responses are much like those on here, much speculation but nothing concrete, except someone naming the two bishops.
Someone does suggest asking the Gloucester Citizen newspaper as the photos may be in their archive.

Just looked again and the poster doesn't name both, he just says they're different, the one on the ship isn't named the post says "second two look to be of Arthur Headlam in his later years so 1940-46,"

Thanks for your help. Just done some digging based on responses so far. Arthur Headlam was Bishop of Glos and died 16 Jan 1947. The ship appears to a be half size replica of HMS Centurion and linked with 250th anniversary of society for propagation of gospel overseas but info on the ship itself i.e its origin and its fate are non existent. There was a BBc listing 15/7/1951 when the ship was at Upnor on tour of the coast. There is also something on the British Newspaper archive site for Birmingham Daily Gazette 06/06/1952 saying the ship was due to visit Gloucester . No more info as I do not have subscription for the site. It seems the photos are two separate events and on different dates?
Still no idea how my Dad came by the photos!

Back