• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

help with medal card

rupedenby

proper brummie kid
i know there are plenty of people out there who can help me decipher this medal card of my grandfather , i can worl out the military cross but am stuck thereafter. plus if you can help do i have to pay to get ww11 info as he ended up a squadron leader in the r.a.f . thanks in anticipation

Hope this helps - and I hope I've got it right!
Don't think WW2 records are released yet - anyone know??

Lloyd you are a wealth of information I can check the cards I have now thanks for posting that.

thanks very much lloyd ,can someone confirm then , he recieved the :-
military cross
british war medal
victory cross
then can anyone confirm is it the 1914-15 star,

Hi Rupedenby,

You are correct.

He received the:
Military Cross
British War Medal
Victory Cross
1914-15 Star

Doug

The award of the Military Cross appeared in the Supplement to the London Gazette dated 1 January 1919 (hope this works):

Doug

According to the card, he was awarded:
the 1914-15 Star
the British War Medal
the Victory Medal

I don't see reference to a Military Cross.

This page https://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/grandad6.htm
gives details and descriptions of the medals, and the criteria needed to be awarded them.

For some reason the medals were not claimed until 1922, I thought they were given on discharge or soon after, this is the first 'late claim' card I have seen.
Here is my late father's card: he fought in Gallipoli and later Palestine with the Royal West Kent regiment, you can see from it he landed in Gallipoli on the 9th of August 1915. He wasn't 18 until September 27th.
He was injured and invalided out to the 13th London Regiment, later rejoining his original Regiment - note that his number changed with every posting.
I still have his medals and have scanned them for you (and my family history records!)
The 1914-15 Star has on the reverse his
number, rank, name, and regiment:

PTE. C. R. PENFOLD
R. W. KENT R.

I wondered what that was - presumably then there was/is another card for awards? I have read in one of the pages listed above about 'second cards'.

I know that there were two different types of cards that were issued over the period. From what I have seen they carried the same information though they had a different appearance.

There was a third card which was used for the silver war badge.

I am unsure where you would go to find the reason for the issue of the award.

This page carried more information about awards.

Doug

Last edited:
lloyd ,provcat , thanks for the info again it is very helpful and has filled a few gaps , just got to try and get my head round it and keep looking. rupe.

Back