• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help with locating a house please

Lisa Buckley

proper brummie kid
So I have found my 3rd Great Grandfather Charles Henry Smith in the 1911 census - however his address has baffled me and wondering whether any one could help me pin point where it might have been. address.PNG

So it is on the Coventry Road, Yardley, Birmingham (which is typically a very long road anyway).
But the start of the address I think is a house name rather than number... possibly LientWardine maybe?

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thank you.

The house is not called Leintwardine on the 1901 census when the Ladbury family lived there but by the 1905 Kelly's it is listed as such when the son of the family lives there
1634038954751.png

by 1908 the occuant was another "Smith"
1634038925234.png

The house is not called Leintwardine on the 1901 census when the Ladbury family lived there but by the 1905 Kelly's it is listed as such when the son of the family lives there
View attachment 162396

by 1908 the occuant was another "Smith"
View attachment 162395
Do you have a good feel for the direction that the directory is recording? I ask because it is curious that the 25 and 6" OS mappings seem to be a decade out at least in showing these buildings. The 1912 6" map does show a smithy towards the Swan, which might fit with Harry Wood, Blacksmith. The land immediately to the west of the end of Lily Road presumably stayed vacant until the Tivoli cinema was built. I found a picture of it that shows two victorian shops to its west and then a stone-built branch of Barclays. That suggests that Leintwardine, if it was to the west, might not have had a very long life. The victorian shops to the east of Lily Road still exist, just.smithy.jpg

In the 1913 directory the listing gives the following order (this is where I started)
Leintwardine, Wroxton Villa, then a greengrocer, next comes Lily Road, 3 shops (draper, dress maker and grocer) followed by Preston Road. This is why I said Leintwardine was to the left as we looked at the map.
Lily Road does not appear until about 1904.
This is the c1905 map and the red marker is where Lily Road is built and the green is where Preston Road is. Red circle is best guess for where Leintwardine might be. Is it possible the two houses became the two shops.
1634048591776.png

Last edited:
Janice, thanks for the extra detail. It does seem to be period of change. The buildings to the west, of later build, are more or less still there, while the buildings to the east get caught up with changes at the Swan junction, Harding's bakery etc. Lisa is fortunate that the house is given a name in the census, it is quite common to have no name or number recorded.

Back