• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Help with headstone photos required

red research

proper brummie kid
Hi. I live in south-west Scotland and I am trying to obtain headstone, or plot photos of the graves of former Manchester United/Newton Heath footballers. There are two in the Birmingham area that I haven't managed to obtain and I wonder if anyone can help.
They are - A. CASHMORE- YARDLEY CEM. SECTION 46 GRAVE 63944. The other, I also require the actual grave details for is CAESAR JENKINS, o is buried in Harbourne Cemetery.
Any help appreciated.
I also need a couple who are in Heath Lane West Bromwich. Although not technically Birmingham, could anyone help?
Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
Regards. IAIN

The main photo on the Cashmore link is not right. If I get chance I will try and visit Yardley. The difficulty there is some stones are not numbered.
The Harborne one must be in one of the churchyards.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
The main photo on the Cashmore link is not right. If I get chance I will try and visit Yardley. The difficulty there is some stones are not numbered.
The Harborne one must be in one of the churchyards.
Thank you so much for your time Janice, it really is appreciated. Jenkins was born 24 AUG. 1866 and died 23 JULY 1941.
Cashmore, I have 30 OCT 1893, died 7 APR. 1943. Regards.

I see that date listed on findagrave, wikipedia and other places but there is no birth registration that matches that. He appears to be registered Dec qtr 1891 Aston, son of Arthur Cashmore and Eliza Brown, and his year of birth is listed as 1891/2 on the censuses.

Thank you so much for your time Janice, it really is appreciated. Jenkins was born 24 AUG. 1866 and died 23 JULY 1941.
Cashmore, I have 30 OCT 1893, died 7 APR. 1943. Regards.

I see that date listed on findagrave, wikipedia and other places but there is no birth registration that matches that. He appears to be registered Dec qtr 1891 Aston and his year of birth is listed as 1891 on the 1921 census.
This is, as you will well know, a major problem when trying to find players. Everything has to be taken with a pinch of salt. I have seen family tree details for even prominent players, totally wrong. Regards.

Iain - my visit to Yardley will be next week. I had hoped to go today or Friday (forgot Friday is Good Friday and I won't be over that way) and today it decided to pour with rain. Too wet for grave hunting.
So I have noted details and will aim to go next week.

Caesar Jenkins is in St Peters Churchyard Harborne although I can't find him listed in the burial register.
1649765787537.png
It mght be worth contacting the church to see if they can help.

Last edited:
Caesar Jenkins is in St Peters Churchyard Harborne although I can't find him listed in the burial register.
View attachment 169107
It mght be worth contacting the church to see if they can help.
They charge £15 for a search! A number of places do this, but I have found there are also a number who not only help with details, but go out of their way to actually go and take a photo for you.

Deciding, if you don’t ask you don’t get, I contacted the church nd they that they do not have any recorded his funeral there.
The search continues.

May be totally wrong but there is a Caesar Llewellyn buried at Yardley in July 1941. Wonder if they can help? Unusual first name and he does have Llewellyn in his names.

Mmmm. Interesting. I have checked the BNA, where there are a couple mentions of his death, but nothing re. funeral. Will check your suggestion out. Thanks.

May be totally wrong but there is a Caesar Llewellyn buried at Yardley in July 1941. Wonder if they can help? Unusual first name and he does have Llewellyn in his names.
Afternoon Janice. Someone else has come back and said that there was a Caesar Llewellyn buried in Yardley in July 1941. He has given me details as below, but has said that the Areas are all numbers, not letters. I am trying to get confirmation on this.
28 July 1941. Area D, Grave 26044.

On the cemetery map which I have the sections are all numbers - however, there is an office and I am sure they would be able to help.
As I said I won't, now, be going until next week (or later ii I need to wait for more info).
I do know that area D is in section 25 - from earlier visits.

On the cemetery map which I have the sections are all numbers - however, there is an office and I am sure they would be able to help.
As I said I won't, now, be going until next week (or later ii I need to wait for more info).
Will update you when I have anything. I doubt if there will be a headstone, but... Already found one in Yardley without.

It is the right person. Apparently his names took up so much space the Jenkyns is written above the other names. It must have been missed by the transcriber.
No stone that I could find but I will upload later photos of the plot.
By the way there is a thread about him on here
The other grave is a bit more difficult. Again I don't think there is a headstone but haven't photographed it yet as I want to narrow the area down a bit first - I should have asked but didn't realise how large section 46 was.

Here we are: map showing where Caesar's grave is (red dot in area 25). The lady on reception told me to go to the path on the left and count 12 rows in. I did that and found no stone just a plot. I checked the rows before and after but those stones were not, as far as I could tell, the one I wanted. Some stones are in a poor condition.
Also a shot of the empty plot and a general view with his grave in the foreground.

Attachments

• Caesar.jpg
    Caesar.jpg
    953.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Caesar general.jpg
    Caesar general.jpg
    781.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Yardley Cemetery & crem caesar.jpg
    Yardley Cemetery & crem caesar.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 16
Back