• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Usher and smith

mbenne

master brummie
I'm trying to decipher an address in Lozells from an Army pension record for my GF's step brother. I can read most of it except for the street name. Maybe I'm losing the ability to read anything other than typed text!
1590132249775.png

not very good writing but it does look like it could be gerrard st...if it is that part of gerrard st no longer exists..

lyn

Last edited:
Many thanks to you all for your help with this - it seems he was living with his Mother's sisters, both spinsters.

Last edited:
One final piece to find in this family jigsaw - can anyone locate an address for my GF's step sister, Rosa A Smith (aka Annie Rose and Rosana), who is also the half sister of Frederick Usher above- She died a spinster, aged 29 in 1922.
1590164546195.png
She appears in the Birmingham Census in 1911, aged 18 years, occupation book binder, living with the rest of her family at 167 Boulton Road, Handsworth. Her Mother had remarried for the 4th time and was now called Annie Jarman. I know with the name Smith, finding an address for her in 1922 is a tall order -ts possible she may have still been at Boulton Road? Ps. I have managed locate her in a family grave in Warstone Cemetery Section Q No.166, based on the responses to this thread. Apologies as I have asked this question before but a result may be more promising now that I know she never married .

bit confused you say your rose annie smith born 1893 died in 1922 aged 29 but ive got a death for a rose annie smith born 1893 died in 1972 age 78 have i got the right person or are there 2 rose annie smiths born the same year of course the one i found could have been married...

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Astoness. As far as I know she never married and died in 1922. If you look at the Warstone cemetary site you will see her listed in a family grave. I can match all the names with family members apart from the very first entry so Im sure she died in 1922. But I could be wrong. I have a copy of her christening record which gives her address at that time as 5 Ruby Terrace Coralie Street

the one i found could just be a coinsidence then...think i found a rose annie smith at ruby terrace on the 1901 will check that out..think you are right about trying to match up names...are you on ancestry at the min..oh do you have her date of birth

lyn

There is a Rosa Alice Smith , with John Edward Smith, Jane Price and William Price at 33 Bournville lane in 1922 (electoral roll). She is not there in 1925, and there is no Rosa A Smith in 1925 (though sometimes middle name.letter is missed out somewhat haphazardly

I think the Rose Annie who died in 1972 might be this one:
1590180994396.png
Death would be reg in Birmingham if she died in a Birmingham Hospital.
Therefore unlikely to be the right one.

Last edited:
Death registered West Bromwich, Sep qtr 1922.

The family are at 167 Boulton Road on 1922 electoral roll. Rose wouldn't be on the electoral roll though because only women over 30 could vote until it was lowered to 21 in 1928.

Thanks for your help so far. Rosa's was born 6th July 1892 and christened in All Saints Parish 24th July 1892. Unfortunately I only have access to Ancestry via the library. Its quite possible she could have been at Boulton Road, assuming she died here or in the vicinity would her death have been registered in West Bromwich? I am certain she died as I found the details below on the Warstone site. I have no idea who Clarke is but the first two Thomas's are her Granparents, Usher is her step brother and Rosa Thomas is her Aunt

1590234328115.png

Back