• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help with dating old photo

illumina3

knowlegable brummie
This is the last photo (I hope) that I need a bit of help with! If anyone could put a rough date on it, I would be most grateful. The photographer was E & W Harris of 220 Mary St, Balsall Heath - I would have asked in the directory section as I did for the others, but I can't even guess at a date. So far the others from the same album have dated between 1875 and 1912, mostly 1890s.

TIA
Joss

I cannot find any photographer of the name Harris listed in the Kellys that I have between 1872 and 1903. However in 1895 -97 Edward Harris is listed as being at 220 Mary St.(not there 1892 or 1899). Presumably then it was not a big business, but was run from his home between 1893 and 1898
Mike

I would agree the date of the photo is around 1890-1900. Here is a photo I have put on before of a Birmingham bakers outing taken around the same time. I know it's no later than 1901 as one of the seated gentlemen had passed away by this date. The clothes and hats are simmilar though and several have watch chains.

Bakers__outing_edited_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The chap is wearing a brown derby hat and long albert chain to gether with a semi droop mustach I would say early to mid 1880's.
paul

Paul I think you are right it does look like 1880's.

Thanks for the link Alf some great ideas for Victorian outfits.

Thanks everyone. Perhaps the style is 1880s but he wasn't fashionable and kept it into the 90s? The date of Harris being at that address seems fairly conclusive - thanks again mikejee!

Back