• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help With Census Please

MWS

master brummie
It looks as if they both married and had children - Violet to a Frederick Spencer and Claude to an Annie Conabeer.

pjmburns

master brummie
There's an Edward Vile with mmn Yeandle. As he doesn't appear anywhere on the 1911 census and dies in 1939, he seems a strong possibility.
And a Frederick William b and d in 1898.
There are others with what appear to be a variation of Yeandle who I thought were maybes but it appears they're not.
Henry had at least 2 sons and a daughter with Helena.
Baptism records give 6 children born with parents Frank and Elizabeth. Frederick William 1898 (died aged 2 days), Arthur 1899 (died aged 11 days), Redvers 1900, John Henry 1905, then Claude and Lily. Not sure about John as there is a burial aged 4 months but in a different church from the others baptised in hospital.

Last edited:

MWS

master brummie
So not Edward unless he was missed for some reason.

There's a death registration for a John Henry Vile in Langport, Jun qtr 1905.

MWS

master brummie
Sorry, didn't mean you missed him, meant if he wasn't baptised or recorded wrongly.

grandaughter82

master brummie
Baptism records give 6 children born with parents Frank and Elizabeth. Frederick William 1898 (died aged 2 days), Arthur 1899 (died aged 11 days), Redvers 1900, John Henry 1905, then Claude and Lily. Not sure about John as there is a burial aged 4 months but in a different church from the others baptised in hospital.
OMG! yes! I was having conversation with my aunt earlier on the phone trying to get her to remember anything else nan said to her years ago and nan mentioned that her her mom elizabeth gave birth to children who died something about not born without.. sorry aunts words 'arsehole' my aunt never mentioned it to me because she thought nan didnt know what she was going about or that it couldnt possibly be true but now it looks like it maybe true! not sure about the why they died part though :rolleyes:
plot just keeps thickening. :eek:

grandaughter82

master brummie
she also mentioned 1928 dorothy definitely was in birmingham with her mom as she got job working birmingham milk dairies 12 years old.

grandaughter82

master brummie
wow mind blowing!! going to hunt all these so i can save them in tree.
you are all amazing thank you :)

pjmburns

master brummie
They are on the Somerset baptism records on Ancestry. The babies would have died because of a lack of medical knowledge n the 1890s and 1900s.

pjmburns

master brummie
Bingo !! - Taunton Courier and Western Advertiser reported case of Neglect. The Mother was Elizabeth while Frank was working in London. I have attached the whole article. She was sentenced to 3 months hard labour. The article also mentions Henry.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-15_23-22-35.png
    upload_2018-3-15_23-22-35.png
    3 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

pjmburns

master brummie
I should have said there may be other articles but I only have a limited subscription so stopped at this one.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
fantastic research on this thread..what a very heart wrenching newspaper article janice...

lyn

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
absolutely janice...i would imagine that elizabeth was greatly affected and i am hoping that eventually the children were rescued from the workhouse very quickly

lyn

pjmburns

master brummie
Morning Lyn- The article was January 1914 and I think it was later in the year when the two youngest Claude and Violet were baptised with an address of "children's home ". Then Frank was killed in action in 1917 so goodness only knows where the children went. According to MWS they stayed in Somerset.