• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help With Census Please

MWS

master brummie
That could be it, I didn't consider that. I was thinking maybe it was her children with Frank Vile that she left with.

Though, as they appear to stay in Somerset it would argue against that.

pjmburns

master brummie
You say children - I only found Redvers as on 1901 census - were there others? We don't know about Henry's children either do we?

grandaughter82

master brummie
By the way - the story of someone dying on duty sounds like a muddle over Henry and Frank or a blurring of the truth. Frank died in action and maybe Henry died of throat cancer? Especially if your Nan referred to her Father as Frank.

Just found the birth of a George James Thomas in Aston in 1872 - he could be our George. Gave saved the Royal Marine file for a look later. So hooked on your story I nearly burnt the cakes!!

oh no hope the cakes are ok :oops:
yep there must be some truth in there very mixed and by the sound of it nan had no idea as my aunt said she spoke very proudly of her dad frank who was in the royal marines was a sergeant!! from looking at Henry's marines records am I correct in reading he was promoted to sergeant? o_O

MWS

master brummie
There's an Edward Vile with mmn Yeandle. As he doesn't appear anywhere on the 1911 census and dies in 1939, he seems a strong possibility.

And a Frederick William b and d in 1898.

There are others with what appear to be a variation of Yeandle who I thought were maybes but it appears they're not.

Henry had at least 2 sons and a daughter with Helena.

pjmburns

master brummie
Yes cakes fine!! Thanks
Saw Henry's children before wife died but no idea later. wonder where the other children went?

Last edited:

grandaughter82

master brummie
my nans marriage certificate if you squint you can make out the Frank Hull royal marines sergeant.
She had no idea and put on there what she believed was true I guess. :(

Attachments

• f025ce6f-e62e-4e0d-8e16-f4399874e8e6.jpg
    f025ce6f-e62e-4e0d-8e16-f4399874e8e6.jpg
    477.9 KB · Views: 6

grandaughter82

master brummie
Henry's record is a list of the ships he served on and the rank he had. It also tells you his character, and ability (I assume in the job he did). It tells us he signed for the royal fleet reserve in 1903 as well. I can't make out all the fine detail at the moment but it is fascinating reading.
Juat had a little look A LOT of dates he was a busy man! was he a sergeant?

Attachments

• HENRY HULL ROYAL MARINE-2.jpg
    HENRY HULL ROYAL MARINE-2.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 3

grandaughter82

master brummie
cicatrice means scar doesn't it?
He served the full 25 years - 1882 to 1903 when he was "discharged length of service". I would have expected him to have a naval pension so perhaps that is something to search for!
will have a search :)
My aunt was told by nan that her mom refused any money from the royal marines she had too much pride!! o_Oo_Oo_O
Knowing what I know now this story has a fair amount of little porkie lies been told.

grandaughter82

master brummie
It's an interesting story. I wonder if you're nan knew she had half brothers and sisters on both sides.

Also wonder if the story about your nan running away has also been a bit confused with and is maybe when she left her first husband. There's a death for a Henry A Hull of the right aged registered in Aston 1920, which if it's him would seem to suggest that they came to Bham together.
I dont think she had any idea my dad and all his brothers and sisters were all told no family at all what so ever her mom passed 1944 youngest was my aunt who would of been 6 at the time and she doesnt recall any nan at all or funeral nothing told no family yet dorothy was the person who buried her mom in a paupers grave at witton cemetary. :(
wasnt until my aunt was older she started asking questions that nan told her these little stories about nan elizabeth ann

grandaughter82

master brummie
It's an interesting story. I wonder if you're nan knew she had half brothers and sisters on both sides.

Also wonder if the story about your nan running away has also been a bit confused with and is maybe when she left her first husband. There's a death for a Henry A Hull of the right aged registered in Aston 1920, which if it's him would seem to suggest that they came to Bham together.
nan was born 1916 and she doesnt remember her dad just said he died when she was 2 im not sure if this is memory or she was told this i think maybe told this but could of been infact 4 years when he died its that the henry.
any finds on where he was living in birmingham? if not i will go have a hunt on ancestry.

grandaughter82

master brummie
I wondered if there were money issues after Henry died and the authorities wanted to take Dorothy? I don't think she would have had Dorothy when she left Frank.
nan was born 1916
This is such a head spin hahahaha!
So she marrys Frank Vile in 1896 then...
has a child with henry may 1916 baptizes her June 1916 and quite openly puts henry on both documents?
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

why would authorities want to take Dorothy? the plot thinckens :D

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-14_22-57-28.png
    upload_2018-3-14_22-57-28.png
    571.8 KB · Views: 4

pjmburns

master brummie
That is not uncommon especially if they moved to another area where they were not known. The marines bit - she would not have been entitled to his pension as she wasn't his wife.

MWS

master brummie
So why didn't they get married? Helena died in 1913 and Frank died in 1917, there was nothing stopping them.

Only reason I could think of is that they didn't know Frank had died.

MWS

master brummie
There is some information about some of the ships Henry served on at Wikipedia. HMS Sharpshooter and HMS Hussar were both torpedo gunboats. There's a picture of the latter.

Also there's a family tree on Ancestry, Harris Family Tree, that lists Redvers Vile and both his daughters, both appear to have passed away.

pjmburns

master brummie
Maybe they didn't marry because they had already (when Dorothy was born) told people they were married. If you see what I mean?

lmr3103

master brummie
nan was born 1916
This is such a head spin hahahaha!
So she marrys Frank Vile in 1896 then...
has a child with henry may 1916 baptizes her June 1916 and quite openly puts henry on both documents?
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

why would authorities want to take Dorothy? the plot thinckens :D
There are twins born in 1914, Claude and Violet Lily Vile to Frank and Elizabeth Vile. This is on the Church Of England Baptism record, Somerset. Their abode is given as "Childrens Home ". That must mean something?

lmr3103

master brummie
There are twins born in 1914, Claude and Violet Lily Vile to Frank and Elizabeth Vile. This is on the Church Of England Baptism record, Somerset. Their abode is given as "Childrens Home ". That must mean something?
If you put Redvers Frank Vile on Google it comes up with Frank's military history and also his family information. You might find this interesting.

MWS

master brummie
Claude was registered in Thornbury, Gloucestershire 1908 - mmn Yeandle.

Violet Lilian registered in Langport, Somerset 1906 - mmn Yeandle.

lmr3103

master brummie
Actually this doesn't mean they're twins, just baptised on the same day. Might have been born before 1914.