• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help With Census Please

grandaughter82

master brummie
Ok so I feel like I'm constantly hitting a brick wall with my dad's side of the family there were too many lies and secrets and it's making research very hard!
My nan had always said her dad was called FRANK and that he was in the royal marines as a sergeant major which she put on her marriage certificate as he had died by the time she was married in 1935. I couldn't find any census record of them living together not even with her mom Elizabeth Ann Hull (yeandle maiden name)
So I purchased her birth certificate as nobody had that or won't show me which ever lol it clearly states Henry Hull I think!
So bit of joy there I found a baptism of my nan in cropthorne dad Henry hull but again can't find any census of them all living together?? and who is this frank person? Lol exhausting. :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180313-195642.png
    Screenshot_20180313-195642.png
    210.4 KB · Views: 16

pjmburns

master brummie
First of all it was not uncommon for people to be known by a different name from the one baptised with. So Frank and Henry could be one and the same person. Sometimes they were know by a middle name especially if named after their Father. This avoided confusion if there were two people with the same name in a family. Secondly, I think the dob is 1916 in which case there are no census records - yet. The last published census is 1911. Your only chance is if they were together on the 1939 register (on FMP not Ancestry).

grandaughter82

master brummie
ahh thanks ok explains things with the census side of things :)
The earliest I found is electoral roll of her married living with my grandad 1939 frustrating I have nothing else before that and her the earliest I have of her mom is when she was married to her second husband in 1927.
Trying to find more information on him so I can purchase his date of birth then i can see what his real name is and find out his fathers name ;)

pjmburns

master brummie
To clarify - your Nan is Dorothy May Hull born in 1916. Her parents are Elizabeth Yeandle and Henry/Frank Hull. Have you looked for a marriage for them? They should be on the 1911 census either together depending on when they married or separately.

aston lad

master brummie
I cannot find a marriage for them , people did live together them days as well, my grand dads ex-wife lived with another man and took on his surname without getting married...

pjmburns

master brummie
There is a Henry Hull listed as a marine but don't know if the dates fit. Think this would make him a lot older than Elizabeth. The record can be seen here https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7776655 but there is a charge. He seems to have died in 1920 in Aston aged 55 - is this right? I think he had been married before and his wife had died.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-14_18-55-55.png
    upload_2018-3-14_18-55-55.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

lmr3103

master brummie
Ok so I feel like I'm constantly hitting a brick wall with my dad's side of the family there were too many lies and secrets and it's making research very hard!
My nan had always said her dad was called FRANK and that he was in the royal marines as a sergeant major which she put on her marriage certificate as he had died by the time she was married in 1935. I couldn't find any census record of them living together not even with her mom Elizabeth Ann Hull (yeandle maiden name)
So I purchased her birth certificate as nobody had that or won't show me which ever lol it clearly states Henry Hull I think!
So bit of joy there I found a baptism of my nan in cropthorne dad Henry hull but again can't find any census of them all living together?? and who is this frank person? Lol exhausting. :(
There is a marriage registered in 1896 to Elizabeth Ann Yeandle and Frank Vile. Is this your Frank?
And then Elizabeth A Vile married George J T Sim

lmr3103

master brummie
ahh thanks ok explains things with the census side of things :)
The earliest I found is electoral roll of her married living with my grandad 1939 frustrating I have nothing else before that and her the earliest I have of her mom is when she was married to her second husband in 1927.
Trying to find more information on him so I can purchase his date of birth then i can see what his real name is and find out his fathers name ;)
And then Elizabeth A Vile married George J T Simpson in 1924.

MWS

master brummie
From the above info it would seem that Elizabeth had a relationship/affair with Henry Hull whilst still married.

In 1901 Frank and Elizabeth are together in Taunton. In 1911 Frank is a boarder in London alone, which may or may not be significant.

Frank died in the WWI in 1917.

MWS

master brummie
Also if the affair started before 1911 then it could be why they're not on the 1911 census. Can't see Elizabeth or her children either, so could all be under an assumed name or just missing.

pjmburns

master brummie
Elizabeth's marriage to Frank Vile
c51e0811-caf5-4713-a3cd-020881f2bc9e

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-14_22-57-28.png
    upload_2018-3-14_22-57-28.png
    571.8 KB · Views: 7

pjmburns

master brummie
When Frank Vile died in 1917 his effects went to his son Redvers (listed with Frank and Elizabeth on 1901 census aged 8 mths). Parents are named on the CWGC site "son of Frederick and Eliza of Thurlbear, Taunton and they seem to have chosen the inscription on his grave".
I know this isn't directly relating to Dorothy but it gives a picture of Elizabeth's complicated life.

Last edited: