• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hannah Hughes 1887

There is a Hannah Hughes at the same address as an Arthur & Marion Langham (Frederick Road, Edgbaston). No other Hughes and it seems the type of road where the occupant would have servants.
What date is that MWS?

I tried to track John and Esther as well to see where they went after I found Joseph living in Ashwin Road. I just wondered where they went. Again several with similar names - one possible death fro Esher in 1950 in Birmingham.

Sorry, 1945.
30a is The Lodge to a large house - just wonder if all those at 30a are servants to the owner of number 30. However, Hannah is not listed in 1950.
1911 census only lists servants at 30a so I would assume this continued so Hannah would be a live-in servant.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
The Langhams are there on the 1939 register with 2 others which would list their occupations.

Thanks - he is a retired brass founder born 1871 + his wife + 2 servants (a cook and a housemaid). The "big house" at number 30 seems to have a family of 4 + 2 servants + a female medical student (no way of knowing it this was a lodger or a relative).
So by then 30a could have been a property with servants and nothing to do with the house it was once, presumably, a lodge to.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I tried to track John and Esther as well to see where they went after I found Joseph living in Ashwin Road. I just wondered where they went. Again several with similar names - one possible death fro Esher in 1950 in Birmingham.

There are a number of deaths listed for a John Hughes in the late 1910s and 1920s which if one of them is him could mean you're just searching for Esther, making it even more impossible.

There's an Esther Hughes, a widow, living on Icknield Port Road (spelling is a bit garbled) on 1939 register. Which is not too far away from Ashwin Road I think, though her age is out.

That Esther seems to have lived at 6 Icknield Port Road from the 1920s and, as I had no death for John, I wasn't sure if it was her. Seems to have possibly been various lodgers staying because there was sometimes another (male) name listed.

Of all the deaths registered for a Hannah Hughes after 1939 with a birth year of 1887/1888 you can find a corresponding record on the 1939 register (including the one in Coventry), all except for the one in Stratford On Avon.

Far from definitive but if I was desperate to find out then that's the certificate I'd go for.

But thinking about it, unless her death was registered by a relative (nephew or niece maybe) would it tell you anything useful?

Something is puzzling me. Have you got Hannah's birth certificate? If you don't then how do you know here DoB is 6th Oct 1887?
Sorry for the questions but I just like to have all loose ends tied up.

Something is puzzling me. Have you got Hannah's birth certificate? If you don't then how do you know here DoB is 6th Oct 1887?
Sorry for the questions but I just like to have all loose ends tied up.him

hi. I have her birth certificate but couldnt find where she ended up she was my great grandmothers sister

John her father Sadly ended up in the canal and was identified by his tiny boots by his daughter Beatrice who had reported him missing. Such a sad story .

Oh that is so sad.
For Hannah then the last definite knowledge we have is the 1939 entry after that we have no idea.

Back