• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hannah Hughes 1887

elle-jay

master brummie
Hi I’m trying to trace one of my lines her name is Hannah Hughes born 6th October 1887 in Birmingham on the 1901 census she is living at 64 ashwin road handsworth aged 22 occupation a hard solder military works living with her parents John Hughes who was a gas fitter aged 54 and mother Esther aged 53 likely hood she got married but I can’t find her after 1911. Just wondered if anyone has anyway of tracking her from her date of birth to find her in the 1939 register. or if indeed she married and to who too?
thank in advance
lisa

hi lisa bit confused here because on the 1901 i have hannah hughes living in summer lane with parents john and esther can you just confirm this is the right one

lyn

1939 Highters Heath Lane
Hannah Hughes b. 6th October 1887, unmarried, domestic servant.

got her on the 1911 now down as annie not hannah

could do with her date of birth to confirm its that is her on the 1939 register at highters heath

Last edited:
hi lisa bit confused here because on the 1901 i have hannah hughes living in summer lane with parents john and esther can you just confirm this is the right one

lyn
Hi astoness in 1901 my Hannah is living in new John street west with her parents and siblings, but thank you so much for searching for me

Hi astoness in 1901 my Hannah is living in new John street west with her parents and siblings, but thank you so much for searching for me
ahh yes sorry i saw summer lane top of the census but yes you are correct lived at njsw

hi Alberta, can you also tell me who else was living at the address with her?
80 Highters heath Lane as Alberta said.
The family surname is Hilton. Not sure of the first name with dob 1904, one blanked out entry and Graham Hilton dob 1937 then Hannah as a servant. Her month of birth (Oct) has been crossed out in red Nov inserted.

Update: 1939 e roll has Nellie (that is what I thought it might have said in the reg) and John Hilton (presumably his reg entry has not been updated).

Last edited:
80 Highters heath Lane as Alberta said.
The family surname is Hilton. Not sure of the first name with dob 1904, one blanked out entry and Graham Hilton dob 1937 then Hannah as a servant. Her month of birth (Oct) has been crossed out in red Nov inserted.
jan that dob 1937 is unusual to see would only have been 2 years old

lyn

Strange as it looks as if he could still be alive and living locally. Possibly an error on the reg - his Dad is crossed out but he isn't.
His birth is registered with the name David and I suspect it was added when they did the NHS list to distinguish him from other Graham Hiltons.

There is a possible death for a Hannah Hughes dob abt 1886 in Coventry in 1955.
Or one dob abt 1888 in Stratford on Avon in 1958.

There is a possible death for a Hannah Hughes dob abt 1886 in Coventry in 1955.
Or one dob abt 1888 in Stratford on Avon in 1958.
i spotted those jan...been trying to find hannah on the e rolls as well..

of no help i know but hannahs brother joseph was baptised at st nicholas church which was in lower tower st in 1892...married marion rawle 1920 died 1970 birmingham

lyn

(Had to rescue the yorkshires). Will be doing that as well - two lots of eyes may be better than one. Suspect she was not with Hilton family on 1939 because that was compiled before the reg and she possibly wasn't employed by them. Trouble is Highters Heath is on the limits of the Birmingham area and if she was just over the border she won't be on the e rolls. Wonder when her parents died? Did she have to find a live in job then?

I can find birth registrations for Esther, John, Beatrice, Elizabeth and Joseph all with mmn Young which fits a marriage of John Hughes to Esther Young. I cannot find a registration in Birmingham of a Hannah with mmn Young until 1888 first quarter. This is surprising if Hannah was born in October and baptised in November 1887,

I have tried to find Hannah (or even Anna) on the e rolls. The problem is that it is quite a common name and it is difficult to know which is the right one. All I know at the moment is that she is not with John and Esther at 64 Ashwin Road (their address on 1911 census) - the earliest I have found John at that address is 1912 (Esther would not have had the vote then) and the latest seems to be 1922. I should point out that not all years are online and there were no e rolls in either world war, In 1930 Joseph and, I assume, his wife Marion are the only people listed at that address.

Last edited:
There is a Hannah Hughes at the same address as an Arthur & Marion Langham (Frederick Road, Edgbaston). No other Hughes and it seems the type of road where the occupant would have servants.

As you mention it's difficult to know if it is her.

Back