• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help With A Ww1 Mystery Please...

skylark

Proud to be a Brummie !!
Hi, I know that my GF Samuel Hale, was in the RWR during WWI (I also know that I cannot find his record because they may well be in the "burnt records"). I know he received medals. By chance (a lucky chance) I found a small mention of him on FMP being on a sick & injured list - not so lucky for me the list is incomplete so I don't know if he was injured or sick..his army number matches the info I do already have. Today I have found more info on a medal card Transcription on FMYP but the info gives yet another number for him...so now I have number 203775 AND 414656 for him - plus his number 902 from when he was in the Labour Corps. So I guess I am asking for advice about the new number for him 203775 (why & how would he have 2 numbers?) & if he was injured/sick in 1917/18 where would he have been hospitalised in the UK & do I have any chance of finding out any details regarding his time back in the UK? Any help or info will be much appreciated. Many thanks for looking at this post.

hi skylark i am far from the best to offer advise but as far as i know its not uncommon to have more than one number..it just means he joined another regiment...just out of interest what was your granfathers date of birth and i take it he lived in birmingham if so do you have an address for him because ancestry have records for a samuel hale living in farm st..different reg number though so most likely just a coinsidence

lyn

Last edited:
My Grandfather had 3 numbers in WW1 first with the Cycle Regiment they were disbandet then he was with the West Yorkshire reg (why Yorkshire i don´t know as he lived in Yardley Wood all his life) , one battalion merged with another and he got another number, so not uncommon

Hi, I know that my GF Samuel Hale, was in the RWR during WWI (I also know that I cannot find his record because they may well be in the "burnt records"). I know he received medals. By chance (a lucky chance) I found a small mention of him on FMP being on a sick & injured list - not so lucky for me the list is incomplete so I don't know if he was injured or sick..his army number matches the info I do already have. Today I have found more info on a medal card Transcription on FMYP but the info gives yet another number for him...so now I have number 203775 AND 414656 for him - plus his number 902 from when he was in the Labour Corps. So I guess I am asking for advice about the new number for him 203775 (why & how would he have 2 numbers?) & if he was injured/sick in 1917/18 where would he have been hospitalised in the UK & do I have any chance of finding out any details regarding his time back in the UK? Any help or info will be much appreciated. Many thanks for looking at this post.
what is FMP.

Hello Lyn, the Farm St Samuel Hale, is not my relative sadly. I was hoping that finding a new number for my S. Hale might mean a glimmer of hope to finding his Army record. Thanks again.

There were so many hospitals that it will be hard to find where he was sent unless you are very lucky. Soldiers seem to have been sent where there was space not based on geography. My own Grandfather injured in 1917 and a Brummie was sent to hospital in Hertfordshire.

Thank you Janice, I know I was secretly hoping that I would find gold at the end of the rainbow with granddads medical history magically before me. I will just have to be happy that I have at least now got a small scrap of paper from WWl that has his name on it. Thank you all once again.
Skylark.

have you got his medal card skylark and also do you have an address for him..would he have lived in moseley st cheapside by any chance

lyn

Last edited:
Hello Lyn, Yes the family were indeed living in Moseley Street. I do have a copy of his medal card. I also have info from the absent voters list.
Regards, Margaret.

thats great margaret take it then that you also have him on the national roll of the great war

lyn

I do have the info from the National Roll , the only thing that is missing are his attestation papers ...hey ho... one day Lyn, I might be lucky. Many Thanks.

Back