• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Help with a photo please.

Lady Penelope

master brummie
This photo shows a carriage with a man holding a little girl. My friend thinks that the baby is wearing a fluffy bonnet but I'm not so sure. I don't know who most of the people in the photo are but I'm wondering if there is another little girl or person behind the baby? Is there any way to sharpen the image please? Any help would be great.

Attachments

• scan0011.jpg
    scan0011.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 66
Looking on my phone screen and zooming in the photograph looks fairly sharp to me.
I don't think it is a bonnet on the baby as it doesn't look quite straight to the back of the head - unless it's got a bit skew wiff of course :D
It could be another child sitting behind as you say.

This photo shows a carriage with a man holding a little girl. My friend thinks that the baby is wearing a fluffy bonnet but I'm not so sure. I don't know who most of the people in the photo are but I'm wondering if there is another little girl or person behind the baby? Is there any way to sharpen the image please? Any help would be great.
Had a try, John.scan0011_Lady Penelope.jpg

Looking at the shape of the carriage the only flat surface inside would be between the seats. There are no feet visible on the any of the steps so the strange person without a hat would have had to kneel on a seat (unlikely) or is actually standing behind the fence. The baby's hat is one of those which was worn on the back of the head - I have seen them in other old pics .... :)

I wondered if the person at the back was standing so they were in the photo. Also find it strange they seem to be the only one without a hat.

My theory is that the person standing at the back is a servant or retainer. I also think that the lady sitting opposite the man is his wife who was previously sitting beside him but moved to a better position. This move meant that the 'nanny' who might have been sitting opposite the man had to get out and stand after handing the baby to the man. The wife would not have wanted to crease her dress holding her baby ... she had a nanny for that!

All speculation of course ... ;)

I thought the "nanny" might be the one standing at the front in the more sober clothing. Wonder where the one at the back is standing? I can't see any legs. :)

Thank you all for your input. I just love how we manage to weave stories round old photos.

I only know for sure who two of the people are in this picture and those are the man in the bowler and the baby on his lap.
They are the husband and child of Rose Vernon who has a thread of her own on the forum. I didn't know whether to post the picture on that thread or to appeal to our wizard enhancers on a different one. The man is (James) Charles Jones and the baby is his daughter Phyllis who was born in July 1908. She only looks a few months old I think so as there are still leaves on the trees I expect this was early autumn. What do you think? I've been staring at all the pictures above to see if any on the ladies could be Rose. Picture below.

scan0002.jpg

Thank you all for your input. I just love how we manage to weave stories round old photos.

I only know for sure who two of the people are in this picture and those are the man in the bowler and the baby on his lap.
They are the husband and child of Rose Vernon who has a thread of her own on the forum. I didn't know whether to post the picture on that thread or to appeal to our wizard enhancers on a different one. The man is (James) Charles Jones and the baby is his daughter Phyllis who was born in July 1908. She only looks a few months old I think so as there are still leaves on the trees I expect this was early autumn. What do you think? I've been staring at all the pictures above to see if any on the ladies could be Rose. Picture below.

View attachment 150587
I think that this picture looks very much like the lady in the large hat seated facing the baby -I've cleaned your picture to try and show the facial features a little more clearly, regards, John.scan0002_Lady Penelope_281120.jpg

Back