• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help wanted please.

pamela floyd

master brummie
Can anyone tell me how i can find out where i would of been christened in 1953 my mom and dad lived in trevor st nechells .. thank you pam x my name pamela rose floyd.born november 1953 ....x

The nearest Church in 1953 would have been St Clements, just down the road from Trevor street in Stuart street.
It was demolished in the 1970s
As is the case with most parish records they are possibly at the Central library.

Pamela, it would certainly narrow down your search if you mentioned the religion of your family: Protestant, Anglican, Roman Catholic, Methodist, Baptist or other...

In 1953 peoples' living arrangements were varied: a residue of the war. Some newly formed families lived with other relatives, not necessarily either sets of parents, or in your case, grandparents. It maybe that newly formed families lived with aunts, cousins or people not blood-kin. The purpose of mentioning living arrangements of the day, is if your parents lived with non-blood relatives: as lodgers - your parents may have had you baptised in the locale where your grandparents actually lived and had better connections to the local church of their choice.

Records from 1953 are less likely to be online so the library is your best bet, if it was in Birmingham, unless you are RC and then those records are at St Chads in Birmingham.

Janice

HI ALBERTA
i HOPE YOU DO NOT MIND MEBUTTING IN ON THIS ONE I TRULEY BELEIVE THERE WAS ANOTHER CHURCH GOING DOWN THE HILL ON LONGARCE
IT CAME BETWEN THE HOUSES AND IT HAD A HIGH FRONTAGE OF STONE WORK AND A COUPLE OF STEPS YOU WOULD WALK TO ENTER THE CHURCH
BUT I CANNOT SAY WHAT YEAR IT CLOSED DOWN AND TO WHAT RELEGION IT WAS OF I RECALL SEEING THIS CHURCH IN THE SIXTIES
BUT YES THERE WAS A PROPER LOOKING CHURCH AS YOU SAY ON THE CORNER OF STUART STREET ALTERNIT WOULD BE THE MAIN ONE IN ASTON PARISH CHURCH NOW THAT IS A PROPER CHURCH WITH HISTORY I USED TO BE A CHOIR BOY THERE IN THOSE EARLY YEARS FOR FIE BOB A WEEK 2 HALF CROWNS ALAN;; Astonian;;

quite right alan..i think you are talking about st josephs church longacre which is still up and running and within walking distance of trevor st....it is however a catholic church...

lyn

quite right alan..i think you are talking about st josephs church longacre which is still up and running and within walking distance of trevor st....it is however a catholic church...

lyn
There is still a church on the Long Acre hill down to Cuckoo Road. I think it is Presbyterian. I used to be in the 72nd cubs there.

ivor if the church you are on about is on the right heading towards cuckoo road then yes its still there

lyn

There was back in 53 a Methodist church just around the corner from Trevor Street on Nechells Park Rd. I think there is a new one on the site today.

Back